Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:17 PM   #1

I know many of us do our purchases online, but does anyone have any suggestions about any photography equipment retailers in the Greater Toronto area?

I know there is Henry's, Vistek, etc, but does anyone recommend certain retailers for diff lines products, accessories, cameras, etc...

im looking for a decent tripod....

trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:48 AM   #2

I usually shop at the above stores, actually mostly at the Henry's Outlet Store just West of their flagship store on Queen. I also occassionally check out the pawn shops in that area.

But I think the store with the best selection (unfortunately not in Toronto) is B&H Photo...they have so many goodies that Henry's, Vistek, or anyone else in Toronto hasn't heard of:
http://www.bhphoto.com

Tripods though are really something that you have to try in person for proper weight, balance, controls, height, compactness, etc.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 2:29 PM   #3

Don't overlook DownTownCamera

They are now a merged Browdway Camera and DownTown Camera but they are still a good place.

I believe they are willing togive members of member clubs of the GREATER TORONTO COUNCIL OF CAMERA CLUBS discounts too.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 3:32 PM   #4

While I agree that bhphoto is probably the best place in the US to purchase (good prices, good service, amazing selection) it doesn't fit your "GTA" request. And since I'm down in Boston MA, I can't really help you.

But I really wanted to second Mikefellh's comment about getting a tripod in person. Definitely go look at them before you purchase. Look at how high they get, how easy the legs are to use. And don't forget how low they get! Depending on what you shoot, 6 inches off the ground is just want is called for... but if your tripod doesn't go that low you're out of luck!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 4:18 PM   #5

yes indeedy,

thanks so much for the responses. i know the gta can sound rather ambiguous to those that are not from around toronto and its neighboring 'burrows'. you guys got me all pumped that tomorrow is saturday and i can head out with my gear and shop around for some new camrea accessory toys..good thing they are all close to each other too!!

walmart carries the optex 56" tripod for a princely $20CDN, however i found it a bit big, clumsyand a bit heavy side. im sure if i messed around with it, i would have found it pretty flimsy and cheap too......

thanks for the VERY VERY helpful suggestion of checking it out in real-life.. i was tempted by some amova online ebay auctions, but i suppose it ismuch more reassuring going in real life.

i was thinking something that extends around 3-4 feet and is pretty light/managable/transportable..

Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:34 PM   #6

:blah:litedosen't fit in with a servicable tripod, unless it is carbon fiber and that is big $$.

I tried using a lite velbon and I think it was worse that hand holding, especially when the lenses grew to 300mm+.

Myself I'm using a Manfrotto(bogen) 055c(I think model 3021 in the US) with a heaviesh ball head and quick release plate. I see a fairly large crowd at the Country Images Camera Club(Newmarket) is using the same pod. Works well but it is heavy to carry around.

There used to be Aden Camera on Young ST.around the corner from the Worlds Biggest Book store if that is still there (I haven't been to TO in a few years).

Though I have to make the trip soon, I broke my Sigma 28-105 f2.8 while on vacation. I've had 2 of these lenses and both malfunctioned, first one the diaphram quit, now the focus motor has given up on its replacement. Think I will replace it with the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and hope it lasts longer, I hear it is supposed to be a good lens

Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:15 PM   #7

Well, I made the big trip to TOronto :-).

Found the Lens I went after(Tamron 28-75 F2.8 xr di)was listed at 699 at evey store that carried it, except DownTown camera which listed it at 639. But nobody had it stock in an Canon EF mount.

Got Luckey at Henrys, their confuser said out of stock but the sales person knew otherwise, found one and gave it at a sale price of 599$cdn + 149$cdn for a HOYAsuperpolarizer + Government$$$RiPoff. So I think I made out OK.

Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:07 AM   #8

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Well, I made the big trip to TOronto :-).

Found the Lens I went after(Tamron 28-75 F2.8 xr di)was listed at 699 at evey store that carried it, except DownTown camera which listed it at 639. But nobody had it stock in an Canon EF mount.

Got Luckey at Henrys, their confuser said out of stock but the sales person knew otherwise, found one and gave it at a sale price of 599$cdn + 149$cdn for a HOYAsuperpolarizer + Government$$$RiPoff. So I think I made out OK.

i was at steves outlet and later at the store on saturday afternoon.. quite a nice way to spend the day i must add......

and yeah.. 15% tax doesn't do it for me neither..............

a.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:02 AM   #9

trueno92 wrote:
Quote:
i was at steves outlet and later at the store on saturday afternoon..
"steves outlet"???
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:38 PM   #10

haha i mean't henry's! mixed up those names.. lol