Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2002, 7:35 PM   #1

Default Need a camera with wide-angle capability...

I am a Real estate agent, and I am looking for a camera in the $250 or less range with a good, wide angle capability, preferably right out of the box, without add-on lenses. I would like something with a 30mm lens or less, and optical zoom of at least 2x. Any info or advice would be appreciated! Feel free to correct any mistakes in "lingo", as well!

Thanks in advance!
jml1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2002, 8:00 PM   #2

I can offer no help in the lower priced cameras but understand that images uded for Homes magazine ads would not need to be high quality. The question here is what camera offers the widest feld of view straight out of the box. A couple cameras (Nikon 5000 and Minolta 7 series) offer 28mm (35mm camera equivalents) in the $1000 range but most cheaper cameras seem to bottom out around 35mm. Perhaps there is a market for one of the companies to offer a wide angle fixed lens digital for real estate use. Heaven knows there are enough realtors going digital these days.

While I'm suggesting products: Would there be market support for a wide angle lens for D100 and other magnifying factor digital SLRs that would only work on digital cameras? The existing 15mm lenses in Nikon/Canon mount are expensive because they have to cover 24x36 format. It would seem a half frame or movie wide angle glass could be dropped in a mount (focussing not really needed) and do well for digital cameras. I suppose by the time anything like this hit the market, everyone will have moved on to digital SLR's with no factor so the problem will be gone.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 8:11 AM   #3
lg

I don't know of any wide-angle cameras available without add-on lenses, either. $250 is a problem as well. However, I call tell you what I did to achieve exactly what you are looking for. I have an Olympus C-2100, which comes with a 38-380mm optical zoom. I tried out a 0.5x converter (19mm) from Kenko, but wasn't pleased with the results. Although I could get an entire room in one shot, every pic had vignetting and required post editing for useable pics. The focus wasn't as sharp as I wanted, either. I purchased a WCON-08E 0.8x converter (30mm), and am very pleased with the results. See http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1681
in the Add-On Lenses Forum for more details.

Bottom line? About $350 for C2100 and $100 for the wide angle lens. Don't know if this helps, but at least it gives you another option...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:49 AM   #4

[quote]Originally posted by dougsmit
A couple cameras (Nikon 5000 and Minolta 7 series) offer 28mm (35mm camera equivalents) in the $1000 range

Your best bet is to purchase one of the above mentioned camera, they both have a very good quality wide angle lens ( down to 28mm). Since you budget is low for that criteria, you don't have a whole lot of options to choose from...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 12:14 PM   #5

your other choice is to try and find an unsold discontinued D5. They are still around. Bout 550.00
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:00 PM   #6

Hi,

I might just add that you might have some luck looking at the second hand market.

The Kodak DC4800 has a 28mm (35mm equiv) wideangle naturally, and Kodak sell a reasonably cheap ($40 US - guessing) 0.6x Wideangle addon lens (brings it to 16mm).

I dont know about US prices (I am in Australia), but I would think you could pick up a DC4800 second hand for the kind of price you are looking for (it is a good camera, especially fro that price).

BTW. it is a 3.1megapixel camera with 3x optical zoom (28mm-84mm).Quite a few manual features on it too.

Elia
Sotterraneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 6:44 AM   #7

Default D5 is 35-250 mm

"your other choice is to try and find an unsold discontinued D5."

Dimage 5 has the same lens as the 7/7i/7Hi, but due to the smaller CCD the (35 mm film equivalent) focal length is 35-250 mm.
MarkoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:48 AM   #8

Default A couple possibilities...

Since you really don't require high resolution, there are a couple good cameras which "could" work for you - perhaps they may cost a bit more than your budget, but here they are:

The Canon Pro 70 - probably the best 28mm wide angle digicam image yet with zilch distortion. You can probably pick one up on Ebay for around $450 or so.

The Sony DKC-FP3 - DSC-D770 or DSC-D700 (essentially the same camera with the FP3 having firewire connect). The FP3 will cost more, but you may be able to find a DSC-D770 or D700 for around $475. Excellent 28mm with 5x zoom. More distortion at 28mm than the Pro-70, but quite sufficient.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 8:34 PM   #9

THE SINGLE biggest frustration with digicams is the near impossible task of finding a natural wide angle. Frankly i gave up and i am looking at buying a camera with a big zoom and then buying an add on lens for the wide angle.

WHY THE HECK manufacturers don't make wider angles is completely beyond me and it's taken me 2 to 3 months of searching to decide that the ones available are simply not offering the other features i want.

The moment someone markets a camera with say a 28 x 100mm lens with the ability to add on to about 250mm with 3MP available, will sell more cameras than they can make ..... i guarantee it.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 9:19 PM   #10

[quoteThe moment someone markets a camera with say a 28 x 100mm lens with the ability to add on to about 250mm with 3MP available, will sell more cameras than they can make ..... i guarantee it.][/quote]

I suspect that already exists with the Minolta 7hi, etc... The native is 28-200 and you can add a telephoto 1.7x or so....

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote