Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2002, 8:45 PM   #11

Thanks, all, for the comments and suggestins. Crowmama, I'm going to put copyright notices on all the pix I put on the web. I also will use lower res images, with a little more Jpeg compression, so that they can't be used for very much.

In this case, after contacting the guy who posted my shot, I think it was an innocent thing. The website he posted on is a good site that emphasizes city landscapes. Some of the people who post scan the websites for pix they like, and they link to them to share (your work & mine) with others.

I think it never occurred to the person who borrowed my pano to contact me first, or to give credit in his posting.

He was apologetic, and I'm not so ticked off anymore. By the way, here is the link to the website. If you like skyscrapers and city shots, you will enjoy it, as well as have a place to post some images.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com

Thanks again for the suggestions.

[Edited on 10-3-2002 by WalterK]
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:53 PM   #12

i'm glad this came to a happy end
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 12:25 AM   #13

Unfortunately some people have no ethics. Always put on your name, copyright symbol and the date. This is considered legal and a registered copyright for artwork. And on web never put up or give full size image to anyone.
Someone could of course clone out your copyright but couldnt do much with small compressed jpg. You can get Digimark copyright to put on it so no one can use it again. I don't know if they still do but Digimark used to give a hundred free copyrights for free.

I just read on dpreview where a bunch of people caught someone using their photos on pbase and after complaints they took the site down. I have also seen even worse, someone on pbase posting a professional artists work without any notification that it wasnt their own.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 6:17 PM   #14

Hi, Sarah. I have a Digimarc listing on my Filters menu in PS. I never looked at it, so I will check it out. Maybe I can use it to put a watermark in. Also, I got neat little shareware program called CopyRightLeft with lets you set up a nice looking copyright notice and put it where ever you choose in the image. It has glows and dropshadows, too. I don't remember the URL, but if you do a search you'll come up with it, I think.

What is the long lens attached to the camera in your Avatar?
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 10:09 AM   #15

Walter,

Yep, the PictureMarc filter in Photoshop will embed a digital watermark in your image. I highly recommend using this if you're posting pics on the web. The watermark carries copyright info as well as some info about the image creator. If I remember correctly, some imaging programs (I know Photoshop does) will automatically detect the watermark and warn a person that is opening the image for editing.

Hope that helps,
Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:46 AM   #16

sjms wrote:
Quote:
then it is unfortunate that we are forced to lojack our images with watermarks and such. yep, the real world is full of some real ^&#@$. then again we can help each other.
That's very true. There are good folks out there in the world like us, and then there's the vermin.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:55 AM   #17

Hi WalterK,

Sorry to hear you had a photo misappropriated but glad it ended well for you.

Some folks here post their pics with a semiopaque signature visible in the photo.

Most do it in a corner of the photo. Some do it in the center.

If I can find an example, I will post a link.

I think this plus putting up low res pics onlycould "protect" you.

However, the flip side for me is that this is sharing, caring forum here at Steve's so I feel that when I post I am sharing the photo. Personally, if someone chooses to appropriate any of my pics and post them elsewhere, I am honored! Even if they take credit for it! It means a lil' spot o' beauty is being promulgated :-)

I am not a professional photographer (would not even call myself an amateur!) so I am not worried about "protecting" my images.

It is only thru the grace of vision and a higher power (way higher than me!) that I am able to be present at the moments I capture.

As far as family pics go, I have several hundred, maybe even a thousand. However, even though this forum is quite friendly, "anybody" can view the photos so I protect my family's privacy and do not post them online except in password protected folders off this forum.

Just another take...:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:12 AM   #18

When I use to post photos on my site, I made it so that when ever a photo was viewed it was "stamped" with the viewer's IP address and their host name as well as any copyright and date+time it was viewed.

If it got distributed then it was a piece of cake to see who did it.

I never had any photos worth stealing though
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:18 AM   #19

But if a lot of viewers view the photo, then it's hard to tell who distributed it right?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:55 PM   #20

FYI, just because you took the picture, that doesnt mean it's copyright protected, you have to send the picture to the copyright office, then it's copyright protected...

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special...biz/index.html
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote