Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2002, 7:07 PM   #1

Default Steve: Stolen Pictures...How to deal with them

Hi, Steve,

In a response to one of my threads, somebody informed me that one of my posted images was on another website, and he supplied a link.

Sure enough, one of my panos was there with no credit to me and no permission from me. They must have downloaded it from this website, or DPReview, or directly from PBase.

How can I protect myself from this happening? I responded to the guy's thread informing him that I was the owner, and asking him to post a reply, crediting me for the image. I also informed him that permission is needed and that this was a copyright violation.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2002, 8:11 PM   #2

WalterK
you have done the correct actions as of this point.
you know the site get as much info as possible about its origin and owner.
you now can send the cease and desist email (removal of image from the site).
keep all this information and back it up.
if you get no response or a negative response. you will have legal recourse(guys in suits).

if this is a problem you can watermark your images and and use services to track them web use

[Edited on 10-2-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 1:02 AM   #3

Walter ..

I think you hjave lost your rights by posting /c (c) on the net. Once you have done this, the image is public property.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 8:44 AM   #4

I don't think that simply posting it on the internet makes it public property. There is an ownership issue here-- otherwise, we'd all be able to copy each other's photos and other intellectual property and make some $$$ with it.

WalterK, all the suggestions are good. DO watermark anything you put on the internet. Heck, I'm even more blatant with my work. I moonlight as a self-employed florist, and all my internet pics have boldy printed and compressed on the JPEG: 2002 Homespun Silks. It's positioned in a way that, if they wanted to crop it out, they'd be cropping out a good bit of the part that they'd want. I also copyright my web pages (since I wrote them!).

Contacting the swine was great, but don't forget to follow up. If they're not polite enough to remove your photos, or at least give you credit, have the legal gorillas in suits pay them a visit.

Good luck!
crowmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 9:27 AM   #5

Default Copyrights

You do not give up your copyright when you post something on the web. All items created (take a picture) and saved to media (web site) are owned by the individual. smms has the right procedure for trying to have them remove the photo from their site. If they refuse, you will have to take them to court, which is usually not cost effective.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 10:54 AM   #6

we can also help by you posting the site and we can assist by also emailing the individual on your behalf with our concern for the use of a copyrighted image
Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:42 AM   #7

I post some of my photos on webshots.com. I notice from the stats that some of them have been downloaded - I wonder what for? I don't rate them that highly and they have been highly resized and compressed so web use only. I make no attempt to protect them because as far as I'm concerned they can have them. If I thought I'd (fat chance) taken a money spinner I'd be more careful.

At the end of the day, is it worth suing someone with all the costs (if you lose) and hassle.

I think the best thing is what you have already done and learn from the experience.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:55 AM   #8

if you freely give thats good. some people would at least like the the user of another site to so some professional courtesy to ask to use it not hi jack it.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 12:12 PM   #9

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately life's not like that. I'd like to be able to leave my house unlocked but some yard-dog will rob me. In other words we're not dealing with decent people like us.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 5:21 PM   #10

then it is unfortunate that we are forced to lojack our images with watermarks and such. yep, the real world is full of some real ^&#@$. then again we can help each other.