Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:13 PM   #1

Cameras are getting smaller and smaller, but are the smaller cameras producing image quality that matches the larger models?Does the 5 megapixel Canon, Nikon or Pentax produce an image equal to that of the full size 5 megapixel modelsof the same manufacturers?

And, is 5 megapixel overkill in a small camera? is 4 megapixel just as good? Is there a high quality digital camera that will fit in your pocket?

Thanks
merhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:47 PM   #2

merhere wrote:
Quote:
Cameras are getting smaller and smaller, but are the smaller cameras producing image quality that matches the larger models? Does the 5 megapixel Canon, Nikon or Pentax produce and image equal to that of the full size 5 megapixel models of the same manufacturers?

And, is 5 megapixel overkill in a small camera? is 4 megapixel just as good? Is there a high quality digital camera that will fit in your pocket?
Thanks
If "larger models" means DSLR models from those manufacturers, the question isn't quite right. The DSLR cameras made by those manufacturers had much larger sensors with 6mp being the minimum size. Any of their smaller cameras with a 5mp sensor has a much smaller sensor too.

Personally, I've found that the Minolta G400 produces great 4mp images (& I'm sure JimC will say the same regarding the G500, or it's Konica equivalent).
Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. By larger models I mean bigger camera bodies with the4 or 5 megapixelresolution. In most cases, the bigger cameras have bigger lenses and more room for internal technology.

I have been extremely impressed with several full size (point and shoot)4 megapixel cameras that I've used. The Leica Digilux 4 megapixel is the best I've seen. My question is whether or not a smaller camera can approach this quality of image.

Thanks again.
merhere is offline   Reply With Quote