Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2004, 5:33 PM   #11

I'm running XP2 without problems. People are generally louder when things go wrong, so I thought I'd offer a rare positive note.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:42 AM   #12

I've decided to forego it. I have kept up with all security patches in the past, and even the SP1 when it came out, but I personally know a couple of "non lazy" PC users who are having some real hassles from SP2. I don't have the time to iron out the problems on my end.

However, I do keep my hardware and a software firewalls up to date, as well as antivirus, etc etc. The SP2 enhancements are varied, but focus mainly on security issuesbecause so many people do NOT keep up their anti virus software, and many do not use firewalls of any sort. This on top of the fact that so many people still to this day open attachments from strangers, has caused a SP2 to be created to begin with. In other words, as one PC builder I know phrases it... "the general computing public is pretty unobservant and dumb", and may need this update just to cover their butts when (not "if") they do something ditzy and download a trojan or virus.

For me... the computer is getting a little old. When the next version of Windows comes out, I'm just going to upgrade my whole system then.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:00 PM   #13

The next version of Windows (Longhorn) has been delayed a few times now and is currently projected to come out in 2006. I don't know if you're willing to wait that long to replace your machine, but that is where it's at.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 1:19 PM   #14

For the record, I'm running Norton's AV and firewall seamlessly with SP2. I haven't found any conflicts with my existing software, nor have I encountered any changes in my printer output (Canon printer using Red River profiles for Red River papers).

I think many of the problems that people experience when upgrading software(not just MS, but all software)is that the older software is not always completely removed by the newer software. I routinely clean my REG files to purge out-dated links and references, as well as other routine maintence procedures to ensure that my harddrive and system performs at the best it can perform.

In the case of the original post, reinstalling the printer drivers may solve the issue. You didn't elaborate on your printing routine (what software, what color management, etc), so there could be a number of other issues at play.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:14 AM   #15

Well I'm very sorry I diverted my own topic to a discussion about Micro$oft. Actually, I agree with a lot that's been said about them over the years, I just get sick and tired of the naysayers who just can't wait for an excuse to dump all over the O/S.

Now, to get back on topic:

I have already tried reinstalling the epson drivers. I checked for their latest on the web, but I already had them. No joy by reinstalling.

As to which program I use to print with, I just use the stuff by Epson. I right click on an image I want to print, select "print" and then use the software Epson provides to indicate which paper I'm using, what size it is, which routine I want to use, (I prefer "photoenhance" with the option for digital camera correction selected.) Then I go ahead and print. To be honest I don't know much about using PIM plug-ins or profiles, or any of that jingoistic sounding stuff. I just like to print the way that I do. I found that it was plenty adaquate before. My print colours were accurate, and the brightness and contrast were usually damn close enough to perfect to keep me happy. Now however I'm having problems with the prints being way too dark and contrasty, and I suspect that it must be SP2 which has caused the change in Epsons profiles, since the problem began the same day that I put SP2 onto my computer.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:47 AM   #16

Glider,

I have the exact same problem after installing windows XP SP2. The photos are realy dark. Spent a lot of time switch print cartiages, cleaning heads, etc. I have an Epson R300 and can print just fine from a computer that does not have SP2.

If you find a fix to this please let me know ([email protected]).

Thanks!

Todd
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:29 PM   #17

Ok I'll wolf I'll keep this thread in mind. Epson turned out to be notmuch help. They gave me some links, leaving me otherwise on my own tosolve the problem myself.Clearly they are clueless as to a solution. So my next step is going to be to contact Microsoft, and ask if they have a fix.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:05 AM   #18

I agree that people dump on M$ just because they are M$. Heck, even I substitute the "S" for a dollar sign! :lol:

Thing is I have always trusted them implicitly and installed patches and the like as soon as they come out. However, I had a few weird problems after installing SP2. One thing was that it wrecked my joystick (I am a flight sim geek) - funny thing is it's a M$ Sidewinder 2 stick!

I tried reinstalling the stick but it wouldn't recognise it. I guess now that M$ have pulle dout of the joystick market they don't even support their own products. Thanks Billy boy!

Anyway, I formatted C: on Friday and reinstalled XP and now I don't even have SP1 installed - you can't get SP1 anymore, or so it seems, and I don't want SP2. Give it a couple of months and I bet SP2a appears...
jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:53 PM   #19

I did a system restore on SP2 after it completely knocked out my wireless connection on my laptop.

As is stands, a total POS on my lappy.
dr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:19 PM   #20

XP SP2 works fine on my HP desktop and my Dell laptop.

I opted out of the MS Firewall protection and use third party software for that.

No probs yet...knock on wood (between my ears!)

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote