Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:07 AM   #21

Not sure if this might help anyone but, after a head banging session trying to profile my monitor printer ect, I decided to ring epson support. After a good lengthy chat the Tech guy told me that at some stage of windows update there had been a security patch that defaults their printers profile to windows default.

They are working on some sort of patch but he couldnt give me any idea as to when or what security patch caused the issue.

I was going to uninstall the one causing greif, but he couldnt tell me which one.

I switched my printing over to Q image and use a profile that im half happy with and windows doesnt seem to get in the way.

Oh nearly forgot he did say that using Epsons own software would force the printer to use their profile too.

Lik ei said might be of help might not, just thought id repeat what i had been told this week
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:18 AM   #22

Hi there

I've just had this nightmare for 3 weeks. I finally had to re-install windows as my system crashed when I tried to undo the SP2 installation.

Needless to say I haven't put the SP2 back on and my printer works fine.

I actually had installed four new sets of cartridges as I thought it was due to using compatibles.

I spent ages on the Epson helpline and all they told me was to use Epson's own software. I did this and the colours were fine but it's the clumsiest piece of software I've ever used. I really don't like it.

Hope you have success; sorry it's a long way for a shortcut as we say here in Bonnie Scotland!

Rosemary
rlincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:14 AM   #23

Thing is Epson wouldnt or couldnt tell me what update caused the problem. Glad your sorted now though.

Im not running XPSP2 yet ive put a block on it but im sure that were all going to be forced to download it in a couple of months time.

Qimage seems to bypass my problem though and use whatever profile you tell it, so i think i will be the guinee pig and put it on tonight and see if my prints stay the same.

This machine of mine has had XP on it for 12 months now and feels a little tired so if the worst comes to the worst a reformat wont be a bad thing..

I will let you know how it goes
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:37 AM   #24

Same trouble here. I had purchased an Epson Stylus rx500 and it printed beautifully until the dreaded XP SP2 pack was installed. About a day later, pictures came out very dark (small black dots seen in intense light). Attempts to correct contrast, saturation etc only had minimal results.

Reinstalling drivers, rolling back wimdows default drivers had no effect. I ended up returning 2 printers but suspected that the SP2 service pack was to blame.

I've uninstalled the service pack but without a printer, don't know if the problem would have been fixed.

Anybody able to reverse the problem after uninstalling the XP SP2 update.

Many thanks,
John K
brahmanamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:15 PM   #25

Based on the replies I've seen so far, maybe Epson is the problem. XPSP2 works fine for many, but the ones having problems all mention Epson as an issue. Just wondering....

I have had XPSP2 installed for several weeks now and haven't seen any issues with any of my software. In fact, some previous issues I had have disappeared with the new update.

For those considering the upgrade but hesitant to proceed, I strongly suggest that you do the following BEFORE downloading XPSP2:

Remove all spyware with a 3rd party program. There are many free ones available.

Defragment your harddrive

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:34 PM   #26

Might be just subject to Epson, ive just read this post here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...07&forum_id=78

Could be something to do with it.

I have / had the same problem until I switched to Qimage and my main PC here is completely patched with the exception of XPSP2.

Sort if makes a bit of sense then in my circumstances, I dont have XPSP2 but i do have the dark photos via windows printing. I dont remember having it in the past, i just assumed it was something i was doing with my new camera.

Reading into steves link to the MS tech page, even XPSP2 patches the breach, although even without it MS released a stand alone security patch for XP with SP1. My machines here are all set to auto download all critical patches and would of automatically grabbed and installed it.

Headbanging gear all this, im off for a nap
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:50 AM   #27

Thought I should add a note to this specific thread.

Regarding the problems with Windows XP SP2 and the dark, contrasted photos with Epson printers, Epson tech support was really no help beside recognizing that the problem exists. They suggested trying other printing software as the SP2 supposedly only crashes the photo printing wizard. I seem to have printed with Photoshop and experienced the same problem but can't remember if it routed through the wizard.

Anyway, I used the control panel "ad and remove programs" function to uninstall SP2 and roll back my computer to SP1a and reinstalled the software/drivers fresh from the factory disk. This was an instant fix and the printer works just fine now.

Hope this helps some folks.

Regards,
Dr John
brahmanamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:40 PM   #28

I experienced a simular problems although I had not upgraded to SP2. After hours of working with Epson and Adobe cust service to no avail. I reinstalled photoshop CS and Vola! all the problems disappeared.
mojo004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:47 AM   #29

I cant trace which critical update issued seperately causes the problem.

I spent the other night with a fresh machine ie no service packs or critical updates and ran throught them a couple at a time. the dark photos did come back but i think i was soo tired I didnt really notice at what stage.

Ive put XP SP2 on my machine so im all up to date for now.

I checked the details about XP SP2 for when we are all forced to download it and it seems because of issues the date has now been set back to April 2005. So no rush, but the day is coming.

Im printing through Q image and you can set the printer profile you want to use through that and doing so i dont get dark prints anymore so im sticking to that.

Once again I will say if your suffering from those dark prints switch to Q image. its really worth it.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:33 AM   #30

But what is "Q image"? Is it free like Irfanview?
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote