Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:57 AM   #1

Default Digital Copy Cameras

Can anyone suggest a digital camera that is especially suited for copy work such as drawings and paintings?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2002, 12:22 PM   #2

I recently did something similar with my Oly 3020 and got good results, however more zoom would have helped so look at the 730. Consider minimum focus range as in issue for small objects. The objects I photographed were about 8x5 inch and I only just had enough zoom to fill the LCD and capture all the detail.

By the way, I found the macro setting useless due to barrel distortion (photo looked warped) and blurry corners.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 1:49 PM   #3

Norm, FWIW, I use the Nikon 4500 as a scanner. It's excellent to record written or printed material.
It really is good for any type of macro work or digiscoping.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 1:54 PM   #4

One of the lower end Better Light cameras backs such as the one shown at http://www.betterlight.com/pages/prod_4000.html are likely to do the job for you. 19 MPixels for only US$12,000 plus the cost of the camera and lens. If you need more than that, they do have a model that produces an 85MP image for US$25,000.

How good do you need the image:-?

If you will be satisfied with the output of "normal" digicams, one issue to look for beyond picture quality is a remote shutter release. Watch out for the infrared wireless remotes, some of them will only work from directly in front of the camera. Nice for group shots when the photographer is part of the group, but not so nice for other uses.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 5:53 AM   #5

Default Copy Work?

Hey $25.000 is a lotof $$$$ and a big jump from my 995. I'll look into the Nikon 4500 tho.

I have been thinking also about the Leica line. Would the larger CCD's be an advantage. I'm retired and do not sell any art work but I do like to give away pastels and just keep a print or two.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 8:21 AM   #6

I used my C4040 for a similar project. I was photoing old family pics inti family history book
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote