Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:49 AM   #1

Ive been asked if i would photograph a friends jazz band and maybe make a poster up using PS7. The post editing part dosnt worry me but ive never done anything like this before. The band is playing this weekend in a local pub so i was going to go along and see what i could do there. Has anyone got any tips towards the composition and camera settings?
My kit-
Canon 300d
18-55
75-300
Sigma 50-500
Tripod
Monopod

Thanks in advance
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 3:30 PM   #2

Advice from an amateur/novice.

If you use 2nd curtain, you can get some pretty interesting results. A jazz band is likely to have lots of movement involved as the show goes on. See here for some examples: http://www.inertia-llc.com/sandbox/300d/secondcurtain/

Further, if the band has typical "mood lighting" set up, you may want to bump up the ISO on the shots (which will increase noise but may give you an pleasing overall effect)

Try to get in on the facial expressions of the band members moreso than capturing them as a whole. Jazz is interesting in that different members of the band will tend to exhibit different expressions as they play off of one another.

Composition is a very hard thing to advise on as it depends on the person doing the shooting. You may see things that I may not, and vice versa. Good luck. We look forward to seeing the results.
The_Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:24 PM   #3

The Spectre, I like those shots Is that a setting on the flash or is it done manually (manually shoot the flash at the end of the exposure)
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:43 PM   #4

Hey thats great! You've given me an idea! I'm a bit nervous about doing it and your help has given me the spark of confidence that i need.
Thank you
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 5:15 PM   #5

Those shots were all 3rd party. I had nothing to do with them.

My band shots are all on my site though.
The_Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote