NHL

My guess:

#1: C2100
#2: D30
#3: Film
#4: 7i

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 4:53 PM   #32

So far, one person has made one correct pick for one image...
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:00 PM   #33
Administrator

Good Point! In the right hands, you can't tell what equipment took the photos.

Just for the heck of it, here aremy wild guesses:

1. UZI

2. Film

3. D7I

4. D30
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:08 PM   #34

This is definitly just a guess!

1. film

2. D30

3. 7i

4. 2100

?
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:32 PM   #35

I've taken photos for almost 30 years. Now I use a DRebel and enjoy it throughly. I started in digital with a Sony FD-71, then went to a Fuji Finepix S602 zoom and finally with the Drebel.

I shoot mostly sports and provide photos to both of the area weekly newspapers. I feel that going to the Dslr this year has given me the ability to produce some out standing photos, probably the best since I went digital.

I also have the unique responsibilty of documenting fire scenes for the fire department that I belong to. This means I take photos during actual fires and after the fire is out. A lot of times not in the best of conditions.

I also agree that you can take very good photos with just about any camera. AS long as you know it's capabilities and limitations. It is the person taking the photo that really determines how good the photos is going to be. By the way photographer is not my primary job, matter of fact it is a very minor one but going out and taking photos is not only quite enjoyable but when I come back, look at my work and see that I have caught a great moment in time is extemely satisfying.

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:19 PM   #36

Kalypso

The suspense is killing me!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:25 PM   #37

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
So far, one person has made one correct pick for one image...
Dang! Still the same results as I stated above! Like JimC said..."In the right hands, you can't tell what equipment took the photos". I don't claim to have "the right hands" (just the ones that took all of these pictures). I am not a professional photographer by any means...I enjoy shooting as a hobby only.

Instead of dragging this on...here's the correct camera for each photo:

1. 5mp Dimage 7i
2. 2mp C2100
3. 3mp DSLR D30
4. 35mm Film
Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:01 AM   #38

It is interesting that it was the compact cameras that took the sharpest pictures of this set. My wife has a 2MP Fuji Finepix 2800Z, it has practically no manual control so it is not suitable for many situations but it also takes marvelous pictures,in 90% of conditions.

Nice work.

Ira
Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:27 AM   #39
NHL

In all fairness the pictures were "edited" and cropped... Without cropping it would be an easier deduction (at least from the aspect ratio).

How about repeating the same exercise and see if anyone can tell a Canon lens from Tamron, Tokina, Sigma or a Nikon? :-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:47 AM   #40

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
It is interesting that it was the compact cameras that took the sharpest pictures of this set. My wife has a 2MP Fuji Finepix 2800Z, it has practically no manual control so it is not suitable for many situations but it also takes marvelous pictures,in 90% of conditions.

Nice work.

Ira
One thing to consider however, is how the photos are going to be displayed. I also own an Olympus 2100 along with a Canon 10D. The Oly was/is an excellent camera which Olympus SHOULD have evolved further, but didn't. Some of the best "for monitor viewing" images I've taken came from an older 1.3MP Olympus D-460. After that generation of cameras, it seems all the makers pretty much tossed highest quality out the window in favor of simply producing a zillion new models each year to keep up with everyone else.

On-screen, you'd be hard pressed to tell the differences between images from these cameras. Do 8x10 prints from each and compare, and you'd see it in a second. DSLR wins hands-down. You can win an online POTD or monthly contest easily with an older generation lower megapixel camera. Try to sell that 1.3MP to a magazine however... well....

But as everyone has stated and it's true - you CAN take incredible images with consumer level cameras. You do not "need" a DSLR to make it in the photography world, whether it be for making money or simply a hobby. Many mid-to-upper level consumer cameras now are good enough for many applications, both personal and professional. Personally, I like macro work and I am starting to do some things in low light. Now for those, I really do prefer my 10-D. Nothing can beat the iso 1600 low noise on that camera. But how many people do that?
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote