Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:22 AM   #11

A lot depends on how you view a photograph...a full size billboard might be 20-30dpi, but you don't view it with a loupe; even an 8x10, you don't press your nose against it and look for artifacts.

I produce 8x10's with my 2mp Olympus C-700 all the time, I even have some of my photos displayed at my camera club...no one says, "that's a 2mp picture, look how lousy it is!"
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:00 PM   #12
Administrator

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
A lot depends on how you view a photograph...a full size billboard might be 20-30dpi, but you don't view it with a loupe; even an 8x10, you don't press your nose against it and look for artifacts.

I produce 8x10's with my 2mp Olympus C-700 all the time, I even have some of my photos displayed at my camera club...no one says, "that's a 2mp picture, look how lousy it is!"
Mike, I don't have a problem with 8x10" Prints from a 2MP camera. I've printed lots of 8x10's from a 2MP Nikon CP 950. Heck, I've printed 8x10" photos from cropped2MP imagesafter interpolation.

Whathad a problem with was the choice of words in the chart (which was designed to help users select a camera), showing a 320x240 as acceptable for a 4x6" print.

There is a huge difference between printing at 8x10" size from a 2MP camera (which works out to 150 pixels per inch after cropping for the print's aspect ratio), versus printing at 4x6" size from a 320x240 Camera (which works out to 53 pixels per inch after needing cropping for this aspect ratio).

I did fail to look at the legend, where it says that acceptable means "obviously not a real photo, but some details are visible". But, I think B&H needs to change the wording for the categories to something else if they are going to post a chart like this for users to use when selecting a digital camera.

I didn't even notice the descriptions in the legends when I looked at it (only the use of the words like poor, acceptable, good, very good, excellent, etc.).

20 to 30 pixels per inch on a Billboard you're going to be viewing from a distance is one thing. 53 Pixels Per inch on a 4x6" photo your going to be viewing from close up is something else entirely.I would not consider this to be "acceptable" quality when choosing a camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote