Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 1, 2004, 4:09 PM   #1

Hi, I've read that higher Megapixel cameras are more prone to image noise, especially at high ISO settings. My question is if I were to use an 8MP camera set on 5MP would it provide images withless noise than the same camera set on 8MP? as I think that I read somewhere that if you use a camera on a lower MP setting it can provide clearer results than when used on it's highest setting.
Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 5:12 PM   #2

Vegas wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I've read that higher Megapixel cameras are more prone to image noise, especially at high ISO settings. My question is if I were to use an 8MP camera set on 5MP would it provide images with less noise than the same camera set on 8MP? as I think that I read somewhere that if you use a camera on a lower MP setting it can provide clearer results than when used on it's highest setting.
No, the noise will remain the same. The reason is the sensor is more densly packed with photo-sites that the same sized sensor with 5mp's.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:24 PM   #3

There's one piece of the puzzle missing in this question...the size of the CCD; while it is true that if the size of the CCD were to remain the same for the 5mp and 8mp there would be more possibility for noise in the 8mp, if the CCD was significantly larger for the 8mp camera (like in a dSLR) there could be LESS NOISE than a 5mp small CCD (that you would find in a consumer camera).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:56 PM   #4

Noise can be reduced by post-processing or even within the camera. In general, packing more pixels into the same size imaging chip isn't a good thing. The new Canon DSLR (20D) has increased the number of pixels (6MP vs 8MP) over the 10D, but allegedly produces less noise in its pictures. The new electronics in the camera are supposed to make this happen. Time will tell whether this is true or not in the real world.

In general, DSLRs produce less noise than point-and-shoot cameras because of their larger imager chips. This permits much higher ISO numbers and hence better low light performance.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:48 AM   #5

Thanks for replying.
Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote