Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:48 PM   #1

As I read reviews of cameras, some (e.g. Canon S1 IS) say that the viewfinder freezes during autofocus, making it hard to track a moving subject. The same review says the camera is good for sports shots. I'm uncertain as to what exactly "freezing" means. Does it mean that such cameras would not be a good choice for shooting my daughter's rugby games?? A concrete example would be helpful. Thank you.
bevcat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:28 PM   #2

I think it is this.
You can use the LCD screen on the back of most cameras to compose your pictures instead of the view finder. The LCD gives you a live (but slightly delayed) image of what the lens is seeing. When you half depress the shoot button on the camera the camera uses the auto focus. Whilst the camera is auto-focusing the image on the LCD freezes, showing you the images that was on the screen when you pressed the button. When the camera has focused (or finished trying to) the LCD resumes showing you a live image.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:38 PM   #3
Administrator

bevcat6 wrote:
Quote:
As I read reviews of cameras, some (e.g. Canon S1 IS) say that the viewfinder freezes during autofocus, making it hard to track a moving subject. The same review says the camera is good for sports shots. I'm uncertain as to what exactly "freezing" means. Does it mean that such cameras would not be a good choice for shooting my daughter's rugby games?? A concrete example would be helpful. Thank you.
All of the super-zoom cameras use an electronic viewfinder (EVF) which is just a small color LCD and most all of these cameras have an annoying hesitation or temporary freeze in the update of the image in the EVF (or LCD) during the autofocus operation. The S1 IS had the usual "freeze" when it first came out but Canon has released a firmware update that effectively eliminated it. These freezes make it very difficult to follow a rapid moving object in the viewfinder when you half-press the shutter release to pre-focus the camera. Pre-focusing means the camera will shoot the moment you press the shutter release the rest of the way down. Super-zoom cameras can suffer from relatively long shutter release delays when used at their full telephoto focal length, especially in lower light conditions.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote