Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2004, 5:46 AM   #11

Would you believe Downloader by Breezer and cam2pc by Nobocorp both advertise or support says they will create directories and store photos according to Date Taken in the EXIF and both use Date Modified.

This is crazy. Only Canon's program still is able to do this correctly. Any other suggested programs would be appreciated.
hpolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:47 PM   #12

Interesting news. I must have discovered a bug in the Nabocorp PC2Cam software. I got an email after providing a couple of examples indicating that they found the bug and would be putting out release 4.41 in the next couple of days. This is promising. I will let you know if it all works out.

Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:17 AM   #13

Sounds good, tell us what happens.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 2:29 AM   #14

hpolack wrote:
Quote:
BTW, I spoke with the programmer of Downloader Pro and he confirmed the directories are built based on date modified and not EXIF date taken. He considered and is reconsidering Date Taken as an option, but thought the transfer time was greatly increased slowing down the transfer process to a point of detriment.
Sounds like you might already have a solution in Cam2PC, but I just wanted to probe the above statement a little anyway.

I use Downloader Pro and BreezeBrowser and find them to be good products. However, I'm not sure I fully understand why Chris Breeze would feel the transfer time would increase so much if he used date taken versus date modified. The only reason I could see is that he is thinking he would be capturing date taken from the image file's EXIF data and, yes, that would require an open/read of the file contents otherwise not required. I have to assume that he is capturing the date modified from the timestamp stored in the image file's FAT directory entry (via a simple C runtime stat function call). However, it is just as easy to capture the date created from that same directory entry information (using the same C runtime call) - the assumption being that the date created timestamp is equivalent to the date taken stored in the EXIF header.

If your harddrive-based, modified images have their date created timestamps altered, well, sure you still have a problem. Obviously, then you really would want to get the date from the EXIF header. But, does your image editor really do that? It shouldn't.

BTW, there is a yahoo group for Breezebrowser where Chris provides support for his products, but if you've spoken to him you might already know that...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:20 AM   #15

hpolack wrote:
Quote:
Interesting news. I must have discovered a bug in the Nabocorp PC2Cam software. I got an email after providing a couple of examples indicating that they found the bug and would be putting out release 4.41 in the next couple of days. This is promising. I will let you know if it all works out.
Can you elaborate on this bug?
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:07 PM   #16

The bug has been fixed along with a few more in the latest release. All in all I think Cam2PC is a great program, although I have a lot to learn about it. For example, for me to move pics from another directory into the appropriate date directory based on date taken, for those photos that I have scanned or got on a picture CD (from film cameras), I have to update the EXIF Date Taken and Modified fields first. EXIFER really does a nice job in handling this function in a batch mode that is simplistic. From what I read cam2pc can do this as well, but I was not able to find it as easily as I did with EXIFER.

I have offered a few more nice to haves for those of us who are recapturing photos from other non-organized directories such as right click on folder to get to the "Get Picture" function. Now I have to click on the icon "Get Picture" then go to the browser to bring up a directory listing, which always resets, and then pick the directory.

Anyway, thank you all for the help and I am a lot closure to my solution because of you.

BTW, just got a Canon D20 and it is sweet. I am still experimenting with how cam2pc handles the RAW+Large Jpeg pictures and conversion. Canon offers a utility that converts in batch as the program imports....I am looking for the same functionality in cam2pc. I suppose if I always take both there is no reason to do the conversion automatically on transfer.

Howard