Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:06 AM   #21

That's right!! I had nothing to lose at that point. I either destroyed the lens even more or fixed it back to life with some damage.

About the cars looking like elephants, they ARE elephants. This was taken in Boston and you know, with all that construction going around the city, people have found that getting around in elephants is sooo much easier. You see them everwhere and there is even an elephant parking area in the Boston Common park. Only problem is that you don't want to get caught in traffic behind one of them. :lol:
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:28 AM   #22

I think there is a lesson here. Go to a camera store and buy some real lens tissue and lens cleaner. It's not expensive, and it's the right stuff. The new Kodak cleaner is non alcoholic (not that I worry about that - my cameras are over 21!) but it does a better job and doesn't streak. Real lens tissues won't scratch either. I just think this photo stuff is too expensive to risk damage.

Also - congradulations on solving the problem the best you could. The camera is probably usable for most things now.

Bruce :-)
bsdunek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:01 AM   #23

bsdunek wrote:
Quote:
I think there is a lesson here. Go to a camera store and buy some real lens tissue and lens cleaner. It's not expensive, and it's the right stuff. The new Kodak cleaner is non alcoholic (not that I worry about that - my cameras are over 21!) but it does a better job and doesn't streak. Real lens tissues won't scratch either. I just think this photo stuff is too expensive to risk damage.

Also - congradulations on solving the problem the best you could. The camera is probably usable for most things now.

Bruce :-)
Thanks. I had a few good reasons to give it that last try and it paid off.

I totally agree. But this case was a combination of picking the wrong bottle and using a not-so-good material for cleaning.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:17 PM   #24

. . . so, do you think this new non-alcholic Kodak lens cleaner will work on my eyeglasses that have a non-reflective coating? It's difficult to find a product that cleans them and doesn't leave a film.

Despite the serious nature of the problem addressed in this thread (I'd freak out if I did something like that to my lens!), I got a few good chuckles out of the levity shown here (like the idea of a camera that doesn't snore and cars that look like elephants LOL). Thanks for the laughs.

Another question related to the CD polish: I have a DVD of "Galaxy Quest" (hilarious movie) that has some kind of a scratch or something that makes it stop playing. Will CD/DVD polish fix that? Is the polish expensive? I suppose I could just buy a new DVD if so.
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 1:08 PM   #25

If DVDs are made of the same material as CDs and the scratch is on the surface my guess is that the CD polish should work. What I refer to as CD polish is a paste much like metal polishing paste (such as Brasso) which is actually a very fine abrasive. Works wonders with surface scratches but you don't want to rub too much with it because the disk surface can get slightly distorted where the scratch was and damage the disk.

Just for clarification purposes. :lol: The elephants were from the Ringling Bros. Circus which was in Boston the same week of my trip. The picture was taken by my friend who got caught in traffic thanks to the elephants (as if there were not enough reasons to get stuck in traffic in Boston) on the way back from the airport.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:20 PM   #26
rds

choeschen wrote:
Quote:
Yes but now I see a new problem with the lens. It is makingthe cars look like elephants! :G

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Of course it is. Isn't the trend in cars these days leaning towards bigger trunks?:blah:
rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:34 PM   #27

I had a similar problem with my camera phone. There is no cover on the lens and it got scratched as I kept a pen in the same shirt pocket. The resultant images were very blurry just like the first image in this thread.

A bit of patience and a cotton bud and some Brasso (metal polish) and the image was as good as it had been before.
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:25 AM   #28

Rochchacha chick,
Yes, I would bet that a good camera lens cleaner could be used to clean multi-coated eye glasses.

Obviously, I don't know that for a fact, so I'd do it in a corner or with an older pair that doesn't match your prescription.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote