Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:14 PM   #21
Administrator

Rob:

I'll delete the thread you started with them in it for you.

In addition to resizing the photos (from a resolution perspective), so that they'll easily fit into a forum post (dimensions); you need to make sure the filesize is small enough.

When saving to a jpeg format, you can also control the amount of compression applied to an image. The majority of image editors have a way to set the image quality when saving ajpeg file. Higher Quality = Larger File size.

You'll want to get the filesize down to less than 250kb.

What editor are you using? Chances are, when you use the "Save As" menu choice after modifying (cropping, resizing, etc.) an image, there will be a way to set the JPEG Compression/Quality. If it's not obvious after selecting jpeg as the filetype when saving, look for some kind of options or advanced button. You'll probably see a quality or compression slider under it.

If your filesize is too large to post (keep it under 250kb), when saving, change the quality slider until you get it small enough (without overdoing the compression anymore than you have to).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:23 PM   #22

I have it figured out now. I didn't realize that I could "edit" my othe post and that would be able to get rid of the other pictures. Sorry. I have made a mess on that forum. I learned a lesson today.

Thanks for you help.

Rob
neekak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:30 PM   #23
Administrator

No problem at all.

Depending on the image editor you're using, you can probably find some help here about how to do what you want to do with it (and most are very similar for things like resizing, jpeg compression, etc.).

We've even got a dedicated forum for Editors (Photoshop, etc.) where you can ask specific questions about them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:59 AM   #24

I have just had a look at your pictures and the Branch one is 540 X 405 pixels in size. The 'My little sweetie' picture is 339 X 420 pixels. These are fine for viewing on the forum, in fact they could do with being a little larger. The fact that you say when you go to these posts the pictures look huge would suggest that maybe your video displaysettings are unsuitable. On the desktop right click and choose properties, then click on settings. In that box find the screen settings and adjust the slider to read 1024 X 768 pixels. Click OK and see what your images look like then. If this causes a problem or your video card doesn't allow this size, try another setting. You can always revert back if there is a problem.

I also use ImageResizer fromMicrosoft PowerToys, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Scroll down on the right to ImageResizer.exe download and run the file. Then you will have the option to Resize Pictures in the right click context menu. It gives you several sizes to use, I generally use the small or medium, and they will reduce the dimensions accordingly and the file size is well under the required for the forum. It makes a copy of the original and retains the EXIF info too.

Edit: I just realised you mention the option to resize for hand held, which means you maybe already use ImageResizer. If so, sorry, ignore me. If not, then give it a try.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:34 AM   #25

Steve,

I struggled for a while and found it one day accidentally, I mean how to upload photos. Have basic skills in computer usage so could get my way around. By reading your post, I realised I did it right.

Thanks.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:19 PM   #26

I think this is wonderful lesson. Especially the second part.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:01 AM   #27

How about linkable thumbnails so you can post larger images and those who decide they want the images to load can chose to click them and see the full size image.

BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 7:07 PM   #28

hi

i feel silly, but how do i downsize a foto to fit the page.

thank you
jazzin junkshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:07 PM   #29

I use PIXresizer - great little free program (just Google it to download from any of a multitude of sites). You can also batch re-size a whole folder of photos for uploading to a website / emailing or inserting into documents.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:32 PM   #30

Ferny,
I noticed few post has a multiple image on single post(without prssing reply button) . I am not talking about hot link to other web site.How did they do that ???
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote