Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:34 PM   #1

Hello all- This is my first post. I just bought a Minolta Dimage X20 which is my first digital camera. I mainly use it to take photo's to sell on eBay but took it out tonight and took lots of outdoorphoto's (well, maybe 10 photo's).The camera is nice but I can't believe how fast it uses up regular batteries (2 AA Duracell). Today is the second time it completely drained a pair of batteries in about 3 hours. I was taking about 10 or so pictures and deleting alot of them and switching between menu options, but is this normal battery usage ?? I have used the camera for a total of around 6 hours so far and have gone through 2 sets of batteries which were from different purchases.

If this is normal it seems incredible so I wonder if it would be wise to buy rechargeable's, would they last longer ?? If not then I would berecharging the same batteries twice a day.

I'm wondering what my options are ?

Thanks very much for any help !!!

DK-
D Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:25 AM   #2

Alkaline batteries????!??? No wonder.

For cameras that use AAs you should be using NiMHs, the higher the mAh rating the better...they are available as high as 2500mAh, but anything 2000mAh or higher will be good enough.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:37 AM   #3

D'oh !!!!

Thank you Mikefellh, I did'nt know that. I assume I can go to any good camera store and pick some up. That will be the first thing I do tomorrow.

Whew, I feel much better now, I thought I had a problem on my hands !!!

Thanks again Mikefellh

DK-
Old Sep 11, 2004, 2:12 AM   #4
Baz

DK, excellent advice there from Mikefellh. I also have the X20 camera. It's a great little compact camera.

The NiMH batteries are the way to go. Before the X20 I had used these in two Fuji cameras, and sorted the good from the bad. Be sure to get 2000mAh or higher as advised. The charger is also very important. There are good & bad. A fast charger is not necessarily better, if it overheats the batteries, which is undesirable & can shorten the battery life.

Have a look at Steve's reviews for accessories/batteries/chargers. Following his advice I use the Maha & Lightning4000N chargers which treat the batteries well & fully charge them.

With this arrangement the NiMH's in my X20 last weeks with moderate use.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:39 AM   #5

Thank you for the info Baz.In justthefew hours I have been a member here I have been reading and learning quite a bit. Between batteries, SD cards, chargers, and all elseI never realized there were so many sub-plots to the camera story !!

There is a huge camera store near my house, last time I walked in there I felt lost because I wasn't really sure what was what. After spending the last few hours reading posts here I will walk in there tomorrow feeling alot more comfortable. I am going to go on walkabout tomorrow and search for batteries and a charger and I have a good idea of what I'm after.

Thanks again, DK-
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:04 PM   #6

You don't necessarily need to go to a photo shop for yoru rechargeable batteires. You will probably get a better price at a discount place like Wal-Mart or Target or some place like that. I got a set of four Duracells of 2050mAh capacity plus a one hour charger at Wal-Mart for about $20. These have lasted weeks in my camera instead of only hours for the alkalines. My camera uses only two batteries, so when they die, I have two fresh ones to put in, and then I can recharge the others. If your camera uses four batteries and you expect to take a lot of photos, I would suggest you buy a charger with four batteres, plus an extra set of four batteries. That way, you'll always have a fresh set ready to go if the ones in the camera run out of power. Good ludk.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote