Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:28 AM   #1

Right, after much internal debate,I have decided to get the Sony DSC W1. Though apparently the software package it comes with isn't all that great.

Which digital imaging software do you recommend? Something that is very user friendly and easy to use, but also has a good deal of features.

I'm looking to spend no more than £30/$40 (a little a possible actually).

Thanks.

Martin.
incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:52 AM   #2

Let's start at the cheap end and work up.

If you have MS Office installed, you've probably already got Microsoft Photo Editor. Not particularly powerful, but OK for some basic tasks and quite friendly if you're just starting out.

Next, a combination of IrfanView and PhotoFiltre - both free - gives you some powerful options. IrfanView is at http://www.irfanview.com/and PhotoFiltre at http://www.photofiltre.com.

After that, you might be able to pick up an older version of PaintShop Pro (on Ebay, for example) for a few dollars. Version 7 is solid and very powerful. Version 8 may be less easy for a beginner and was flaky prior to version 8.10, but offers some good new functionality. When you get to this level, you're into software that offers layers, clone brushes - all sorts of goodies that let you do very interesting things with your images.

Finally - and it has to be the best option - if you can get a copy of Photoshop Elements 2 within your budget, don't hesitate. It's an excellent editor and you'll be joining a large user base, so there's plenty of help and support available.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:51 AM   #3

fenlander wrote:
Quote:
Finally - and it has to be the best option - if you can get a copy of Photoshop Elements 2 within your budget, don't hesitate. It's an excellent editor and you'll be joining a large user base, so there's plenty of help and support available.
I use Photoshop 5, an older version that does everything I need to do. But if I had it to do over today, I'd give Photoshop Elements 2 a serious look based on some good reviews. I've heard it described as "Photoshop ($500+) without the advanced printing options (needed by commercial print shops)". AND, I've seen it at Sam's Wholesale Club for about $55 - close to your budget.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 1:21 PM   #4

Irfanview http://www.irfanview.comis fast andvery good basic imaging software.

It isfree to the personal user. Be sure to get all of the plug-ins.

jdm
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:55 PM   #5

You can download Kodak's Easyshare (don't laugh!) program from their web site. The program is free. It's not particularly powerful, but it is easy to use and might be a good way to get started. Plus, the price is right!
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 5:58 PM   #6

fenlander wrote:
Quote:

Next, a combination of IrfanView and PhotoFiltre - both free - gives you some powerful options. IrfanView is at http://www.irfanview.com/ and PhotoFiltre at http://www.photofiltre.com.

fenlander

Thanks for your suggestions... I'm trying those two programs. Photofiltre seems VERY good (after a little use, the only thing I'm missing from when I used Photoshop is a little more versatility and, of course, Layering options).
However, irfanview seems far more limited... what did you mean by combination? Is there anything I might be doing wrong with Irfanview?

Thanks again.

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:14 PM   #7

mmm... nothing?
Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:11 PM   #8

José A. wrote:
Quote:
However, irfanview seems far more limited... what did you mean by combination? Is there anything I might be doing wrong with Irfanview?
Irfanview isn't really an image editor, but it complements proper editors by having excellent rapid viewing facilities and extremely powerful batch processing of groups of images. It will also create you a rather nice web page index (which you can easily edit and personalise to taste), automaticallyfrom a collection of images.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:59 PM   #9

Thanks a lot for all the info.
Attached Images

Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:45 PM   #10

Hello again.

Does anyone know about any free software out there that allows you to create animated .GIF's?

Well, if it's not free it might work also... I have acces to Photoshop, but once I tried to open an animated GIF with it and I got warned that if I saved it, I would lose information. Is there any plug-in I should download in order to do this?

Thanks!