Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:15 AM   #1

First off, I've been a long time visitor of steve's digicams, but this is my first time here in the forums. My question is should I leave my batteries(Ni-MH) in my camera(Fuji S7000) even though I haven't used it in a while and plan not to use it in the near future. Do I need to take the batteries out or it doesn't matter either way?
DonBonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:37 AM   #2

Don,
Your NiMH batteries will slowly discharge no matter where they are, that's just their nature. It doesn't really matter if you take them out or leave them in, but your camera will reset to the factory default after not having batteries in after a certain point,(24 hours?). The bigger question is why won't you be using your camera
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 7:51 AM   #3

If you don't plan to use your camera for an extended period of time, remove the batteries as the device (camera) will continue to drain the batteries even when turned off, just to maintain its settings in memory as well as date and time. My mother left her Ni-MH's in her camera for about three months, and when I picked it up to figure out why it wasn't working, I took the batteries out and they had leaked slightly. I thought that only happened to alkalines, but I guess Ni-MH aren't immune either. Try to recharge your batteries once a month when leaving them unused, just so they don't deplete themselves beyond a certain point where there can be permanent damage to the batteries' internal structure.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:55 AM   #4

DonBonus wrote:
Quote:
should I leave my batteries(Ni-MH) in my camera(Fuji S7000) even though I haven't used it in a while and plan not to use it in the near future.
How long is "a while" and "near future"?

marokero wrote:
Quote:
just to maintain its settings in memory as well as date and time.
That's the thing...I spent some time programming custom settings into the camera that will be lost without batteries; it's too bad you can't boot them like a computer, have a small file on the card with your custom settings, and have the camera read that file to get the default setup. Another thing you will lose (probably) is your picture count...after being without batteries many cameras will start with picture #1.

In the two years I've owned my camera, although it's gone a month unused once (while I was ill), I have ALWAYS kept batteries in it (although I do check the level every few weeks to make sure they're not low as even sitting on the shelf NiMHs will self-discharge).

If you don't have custom settings in the camera, go ahead and remove them...just make yourself a little cheat sheet so you know what to do when you first pop batteries into the camera.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote