Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:06 PM   #1

K, I'm thinking I might be putting this thing in the wrong place. So, if that is true I'm real sorry and you all can move it.

Just a real quick question. My church has asked me to take some nature pictures and was wondering what kind of lighting would be good. Most the time I shoot right before sundown where you get that nice glow in the sky, but whereI plan to go there is quite a bit of tree canopy. So, what should I do? I'm so confused. :?
alphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:09 PM   #2

well...for the most part, sunrise/sunset is the best quality light, even if you can't see the sun itself...it'll cast nice shadows...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:16 PM   #3

K, thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:19 PM   #4

Hi Ralphie,
Are you able to go look at the scene a day or two before you shoot it? That may give you some ideas. Fill flash may help but my own experience has shown that fill flash frequently looks artificial. If your camera has flash compensation, you may want to set it to around -0.7. The will reduce the flash output and cause more of the natural light to come through.

Without seeing the location, it is hard to suggest more. Good luck to you.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks Calr. It's a location that I quite frequent so I know it almost like the back of my hand. The location is wonderful since it has HUGE rock croppings in one area, fields of natural prarie grass in another, and a many many little trees. I'm thinking of goinglater today around sundown. I'll let you all know.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:45 PM   #6

well, if you can go multiple times, i'd try the sunrise and sunset of multiple days, maybe you can get a nice sunset with the rocks, or the prairie...

do you know wat the pictures will be used for?

my pastor has used some of my pictures as a background for the slides for our songs....

Vito
Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:06 PM   #7

Unfortunately not a great morning personso sunset will probably have to do. :lol:

Vito that's exactly what my church would like to use my pictures for that and to also be a background for bible versus, news, anything basically that they show on the big screen.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:34 PM   #8

coolness

i'm the Visual Technician at my church (HAHA some fancy way to say i'm the dude that uses a powerpoint-like program for the songs )

Vito
Old Sep 14, 2004, 3:21 PM   #9

That's too cool. As for me the video team at my church decided to let me in so they can have somebody taking stills and not just movies all the time.