Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2004, 5:52 PM   #1

hi again

I'm having a problem with my mates USB reader (POI travelflash).

Windows recognises the reader (with some effort) but Zero's recovery tool doesn't see the flash card at all.

Is it possible that this reader doesn't work with CF 2 cards ?

swayzak
swayzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2004, 6:36 PM   #2
Administrator

From looking at their Web Site, the PQI Travelmate series of Card Readers support CF Type II. I'd make sure that you've got the reader plugged into a USB port on the PC (not via a keyboard interface, etc.), since the reader will need to draw power from the USB port.

Does Windows see the CF card as a removable drive (click on my computer and see if a drive letter is assigned)?

If so, then a recovery package should be able to retrieve the files. I'm not familiar with "Zero's Recovery Tool", but any of them will require that the card have a drive letter assigned (that the cardshows up as a removable drive under Windows).

P.S. -- I'd make sure you are not using any kind of recovery tool that is writing to your media (otherwise, you risk permanently losing your images, if the recovery tool modifies the media before it's able to recover the files).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 6:53 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
From looking at their Web Site, the PQI Travelmate series of Card Readers support CF Type II. I'd make sure that you've got the reader plugged into a USB port on the PC (not via a keyboard interface, etc.), since the reader will need to draw power from the USB port.

Does Windows see the CF card as a removable drive (click on my computer and see if a drive letter is assigned)?

If so, then a recovery package should be able to retrieve the files. I'm not familiar with "Zero's Recovery Tool", but any of them will require that the card have a drive letter assigned (that the cardshows up as a removable drive under Windows).

P.S. -- I'd make sure you are not using any kind of recovery tool that is writing to your media (otherwise, you risk permanently losing your images, if the recovery tool modifies the media before it's able to recover the files).

thanks

Hmmm..

Windows does seem to recognise the drive in Device Manager (as 3 entries: Disk Drive + 2 x General Flash Disk Drive USB Device).

But not seen in Explorer.

Are these usb readers a bit flakey or generally rock-solid ?
Old Sep 14, 2004, 6:59 PM   #4
Administrator

swayzak wrote:
Quote:
Windows does seem to recognise the drive in Device Manager (as 3 entries: Disk Drive + 2 x General Flash Disk Drive USB Device).

But not seen in Explorer.

Are these usb readers a bit flakey or generally rock-solid ?
I've never used a PQI reader. I've used Sandisk Readers, Lexar Readers, and even my HP printer has built in readers -- but, no PQI reader.

I'd try restarting Windows to see if that helps. You will need to have it where Windows has a drive letter assigned forany recovery software to work.

Which Windows are you running (XP, 98, etc.)?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:09 PM   #5

Win XP SP2

This is definitely a problem with the reader - XP won't detect it properly.

I've just ordered a LaCie 8 in 1 USB 2 reader so hope to have better luck with that - £14 is cheap price to pay to get these pix back !