Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:30 PM   #11

Yeah rite, I use ver 4, it's ok. But I think that ver 3 will chop the exif data
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:16 AM   #12

Hope this is not a dumb question.. :lol: but what is the exif data?.
My Sanyo camera names the photos like this: "dsc0001.jpg"
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:36 AM   #13

Most digicams add extra information or 'metadata' to each picture file - it is called EXIF, the name of the standard format universally adopted.

The info is the cam settings used each time, e.g the cam name, date taken, aperture,shutter speed, ASA, resolution settings. It's a sort of shot 'fingerprint' contained within the file after you took the picture.

Most early editing software used the picture information, but after you changed anything and re-saved, they threw away this info, and it was lost forever (unless you'd kept an unedited original). The info is useful if you ever want the actual date/time or cam settings. Most new software now keeps the info in the file intact after saves and can show this as well as the picture.

However, if you just want to read the info or learn more, or check whether your present edit software dumps it after saves, there's a freeware /shareware? prog. called Exifer which you can download here:

http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:51 AM   #14

Having a somewhat off-beat camera (Casio 3000), the generic EXIF readers only do a so-so job. There is an EXIF reader specific to Casio cameras that gets pretty much all of settings (white balance, flash intensity, focus distance, ...) that the generic readers miss. EXIF is one of the ussual digital standards that everyone does a little bit differently.

So try one of the generic EXIF readers: I've heard good things about Exifer (voxmagna's suggestion: I use EXIF Image Viewer - http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/ - freeware), but also ask in the forums for your specific camera and/or do a Google search.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:12 AM   #15
Administrator

Here's a little trick for the cameras that keep resetting the filename (numbers) to zero. Leave the last image on the card and it will pick up the numbering from there. :idea:

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:55 AM   #16

Thanks guys, when I get home I will download that program voxmagna suggested.
Steve, thanks for that bit of information, I never thought to leave the last photo on the card, great idea, as long as my card don't screw up and have to format it, I should be good to go.
__ Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 6:57 AM   #17

That's a good tip from Steve!

I'm also wondering if you can save a re-named pic back to a card starting with the number you want, and the cam will increment from there. You might need this if you ever re-formatted or replaced the card anyway. There might then be scope to force the cam to use your own batch sequence on 2 or 3 cards. Will try it.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:22 AM   #18

Wonderful! I started this thread last week and what a response. Thanks to all for your help and advice. I have read carefully all that has been said and can report as follows:

1. You can reset the Sony F505 sequence number by connecting the camera to your PC/Mac and renumbering the last photo to whatever sequence you want. However a word of caution! When I retyped the whole nuber ie DSC09999 the next picture taken was DSC00001! I tried again but this time just overtyped the last 4 digits .. say 3245 - I did not retype the whole image name. This worked fine. I am not sure why this reset the serial number the fisrt time (I have screen shots to prove this happened!) but retried as above and it worked.

2. I have reformatted the memory stick and the numbering sequence continues from the preset number as required. I have also inserted 'old' memory sticks which have been reformatted and the numbering continues as it should. So success at last.

Thank you for you help and trust that the outcome of this thread is elevated such that this 'undocumented' feature becomes part of the reviewers standard tests. Also it should be documented by all the manufactures. :arrow: :lol:
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 8:45 AM   #19

Sounds like the Sony limits to 10,000 then. I'll bet if you check the number of characters displayed as shot number, it will also be this limit. Still, that's a lot of pic numbers! You have a cam which itself remembers - not all others do this.

Incidentally, it may not be obvious to other members, but you must keep the DOS 8 character convention and use the same file beginning syntax - DSC in your case. This is how the cam distinguishes it's own pics for incrementing, from other files you might put on the card.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 10:02 AM   #20

Marko,
did you check if there's a choice in setup of Fuji camera: number filles consequentially or reset numbering every time?
Sergey
twopizza is offline   Reply With Quote