Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 7, 2002, 6:45 AM   #1

Default Sequential Numbering of Photographs?

My Sony camera (F505) will increment the number for each photo - ensuring there are no duplicate on my PC. I have just bought a FujiFilm S304 - this resets the counter every time to zero. Does anyone have any clues as to how I may achieve auto incrementation of the sequence number? Is there a program that will do this for you? I use Thumbs for my database of photos.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:53 AM   #2

I use an app called "CK Rename". Really easy to use. Just do a google search for it
scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 8:03 PM   #3

Here's another good free one:

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/download.htm
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:51 PM   #4

Something to watch out for. On my cam, if I erase, file numbering starts at zero again, so if copying to same directory, you will overwrite previous files.

Using the apps. suggested or alternatives, I rename sequentially to something meaningful IMMEDIATELY after copying to hard drive.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 9:53 AM   #5

This is a good thread. It points up a problem that the manufacturer's should address -- creating some kind of standard that would give photos a unique name.

Date/Time codes could be a start.
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 6:24 PM   #6

Yes, I mentioned something like that in another post, However, imagine sorting through date/time stamped filenames in the viewfinder! sequential numbering makes this easy - BUT swap cards around and you can get in a real mess. I've deliberately given my cards different Volume ID's which are also hand written on the cards.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 4:54 AM   #7

I think that this 'problem' should be fully and enthusiastically perused by the reviewers at Steves Digicams. As an earlier member said - this is a good thread but it is a real problem. There just seems to be a lack of joined up thinking. People (manufacturers) want every feature packed into the camera - but always forget about the end user experience. This resetting of the frame numbers is a potential disaster for the inexperienced user. I agree that coding using the date/time stamp is the only sensible answer.
Incidentally my Sony F505 decided to reset itself to zero about 6 months ago. I was on frame 9670 - and now I have a real problem because I have duplicates in my library! (We use the camera for pre-construction site recordings in case anyone thinks I am a complete photo anorak!)
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:04 AM   #8

Marko- At least you're lucky enough to have some sort of continuous numbering.

Could you have done a reset somewhere in the cam menu, have you had date and time go back to default? I'd expect that to put everything back and possibly if the cam was left with discharged batts and the user pre-sets went volatile!

The data to creat unique file names is already there in the Exif header. So an app. or Photoshop plug-in could do something with that at the import to hard disc stage.
Old Oct 14, 2002, 1:49 PM   #9

ACDSee also can batch-rename pics . You chose a string, add #### somewhere and it rename all pics with sequential number inserted in the place of #### , starting at a number of your choice.

In the Minolta D7xx, set the file number memory on. In case you lost the setting, just take a pic, rename it ( via your card reader) to the number of your choice, then from now on, the cam counter will "remember" again.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 3:41 PM   #10

KCan.... I use ACDSee Batch mode, it's a great help when you've got 100+pics to upload and rename and far superior for file browsing than the cam software, the basic editor's not bad either but illusive to find sometimes!

Word of caution for members: check you're using one of the later versions that keeps the Exif data intact.