Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:40 PM   #1

Just wondering what you all use to carry your kit around in.
I've got a Crumpler backpack which was great to start of with but i'm starting to out grow it. The main problem is my 50-500mm wont fit in the protective pockets so it has to sit lose in the main part of the bag.
Has anyone got any recommendations of a bag that copes with a big lense?
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:38 PM   #2

I use a Lowepro Minitrekker AW for all my gear:

(no i don't disconnect my lenses every time i put my camera in the bag, this is just "transport mode". The body with a lens fits in the center quite nicely, even the large 70-200 with extender, by removing a foam or 2)

If i dont want to take that all with me, i've also got an smaller Lowepro Nova 3, for just the body with a small lens fitted, an extra lens, and my flash.

Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:08 PM   #3

I have a LowePro Stealth Reporter AW 500 shoulder bag that I use. On location, I wear a vest and only carry the lenses/items that I will need for that shoot.

I also have a Photo Trekker AWII that I don't use and will probably sell shortly. It's never been out of the house..LOL...
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 9:12 PM   #4

I like the regular Lowepro Orion. It's a hip-pack that you can swing around to the front & open up & get stuff in & out without taking it off. Plus, it unzips from the waist out so you can use the lid to put light stuff on while it's open.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:09 PM   #5

I have a Photo Treker Classic that carries some gear, an older model Pro Treker AW (used, great deal) for my big lens & a toploader Zoom AW. All are from LowePro.

I recommend their stuff for various reasons, but they are not cheap. They are probably the best, though. And their web site has a wonderful interface 'cause you can get to the info (which bag you want to read about) in several ways... so one of them is probably organized to match how you think:
http://www.lowepro.com/pages/proindex.htm

The absolute best way to buy a camera bag only works if you live in/near a larger town. Find a camera store which stocks lots of bags. Go with your gear, load the bags up and walk around the store. Really feel how they fit, how they ride on you (weight distribution), where the straps go, how the zippers work, are the extra pockets useful... all the stuff that you can't see in a picture. You really need to know this.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:11 PM   #6

I just lug around a Tamrac Pro12. My old Roots Backpack wasn't deep enough when I opted to get the battery grip for my camera. Now it hold a 35mm system.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:42 PM   #7

Ohenry which vest do you use? I have not been able to find one I actually like.

ohenry wrote:
Quote:
I have a LowePro Stealth Reporter AW 500 shoulder bag that I use. On location, I wear a vest and only carry the lenses/items that I will need for that shoot.

I also have a Photo Trekker AWII that I don't use and will probably sell shortly. It's never been out of the house..LOL...

For bags I am now switching between a Lowepro Treker Classic, Lowepro Orion AW, and Lowepro topload (don't remember its name it can hold one body with a short zoom), depending on where I am going and how much I plan to bring(usually too much).
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:22 AM   #8

:whack:You got me thinking about all the bags I've tried in the quest for the perfect bag.

So I quickly got the cat to put together her camera bag collection.

The flat yellow one iin the back is a Boreal dry bag.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:59 AM   #9

I believe this is a very popular vest:
http://www.rue.com/vest.html

I don't use a vest, but this one would be high on my list to try if I did.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:05 AM   #10

:-)Looks usable, except for the "NOT CURENTLY AVAILABLE" sign they have on it :-)

The L.L.Rue stuff is usually pretty good.