Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:03 PM   #1

I have recently purchased a Canon EOS 300D and have started to shoot in RAW as I love the idea that I do not need to worry about settings such as White Balance until it hits the computer.

My question is what do you guys do at the time of conversion (I have BreezeBrowser) and what do you leave for Photoshop?
c.exton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 7:54 PM   #2

I don't use BB but in C1 I tweak my WB and slight exposure to suit. I save the file as a 16 bit TIFF in ProPhoto RGB color space and all other adjustments are then completed in Photoshop CS.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:01 PM   #3

Thanks. That is essentially what I am doing as well.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:16 PM   #4

One further question. Why do you use the ProPhoto RGB color space instead of Adobe RGB?
Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:01 AM   #5

There are pros and cons about using PP RGB rather than aRGB and I'm certainly not adept enough to convince anyone one way or the other. Basically, it's a wider gamut range and the possiblities of channel color clipping disappear. It's something that I just startedexperimenting withrecently and I really don't see any difference in my workflow from when I was using aRGB. The downside of PP RGB is when you work in 8 bit mode as there is concern that banding may occur. I'm continuing to research information on the advantages/disadvantages.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:22 PM   #6

Another disadvantage is that almost every web browser ignores any color space info in the image and uses sRGB. This means that after you're done edited you will wan to convert to sRGB to post it on the web. And this could reduce contrast or have other effects that will require further edit.

I do agree, though, that sRGB doesn't really cover the space of existing colors very well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 8:03 PM   #7

Eric, I convert to sRGB prior to sending any picture to the web or over email. I stay in PP RGB (or Adobe RGB) throughout the process and save my master files in that color space. My master files are full size images (unless I cropped the image) and do not include any sharpening. Once I decide that I want to make a picture ready for the web, I convert to sRGB, resize the image to 600X480 (or whatever), then sharpen to taste and save as .jpg.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:01 PM   #8

That is basically what I do, with the addition that if I do a lot of complex sharpening I save a copy with the sharpening an alternate name expressing its purpose (web, [email protected],...)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote