Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 13, 2002, 5:45 PM   #11

The Fuji Finepix viewer gives you a thumbnail called 'still image with sound' with the picture jpeg file ref. beneath (although the .wav file of the same file ref is required, in the same directory to play it). If your cam records memo sound, check out its utilities first.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 6:37 AM   #12
lg

FYI, the Olympus C2100 does it exactly the same way. A .WAV file is recorded with the same filename as the picture.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 2:09 PM   #13

Ah, so now I'm mind reading and trying to understand the first post from the others. Is the issue 'paranoia' that sound will be there unknowingly perhaps when using the cam in some clandestine project? Very simply then, sound can be on or off and it's a separate file anyway.

Of more interest to other forum members might be that you want to send a picture with sound (a bit like those naff cards you get at Xmas!).

This isn't a silly question. The person receiving by email may only have a bog standard no frills pc with sound card and browser. So, WILSON has the answer. He didn't say that his images and sound arrive together because they are in his uploaded java script. But, using a web page builder it should be possible to build a simple script which anybody with a browser and sound card can open to get the picture and sound from files they are emailed.

I have never run a web site like Steve, so perhaps another member could post more detail or a better method.
Old Oct 14, 2002, 7:59 PM   #14

Voxmagna-
I guess we have some misunderstanding (my fault)...when I connect the 3800 to my PC the FinePix Viewer opens and I see the JPG's that have sound recorded (they have a microphone icon) and if I open the image, while in FinePix Viewer, I can play the audio by starting it on the bar at the bottom of the opened image.

If I save the image (with audio memo) in another folder on my PC it saves 2 files-one with the .JPG and the other with the .WAV. If I attach both files to an e-mail the recipient must open them separately to see the image and/or hear the audio. From your earlier post I had the impression that the viewer would search for the .WAV file of the same name when it opened the .JPG file but I have not been able to accomplish this with any of the following viewers: Photoshop 5, Adobe Photodeluxe BE, Photoshop Elements,Microsoft Photo Editor. That's why I asked what "new/recent" editors you were referring to.

In fact, I do want to have the ability to send an image and have the audio memo play at the same time (as it does in Finepix Viewer). From your latest post I guess I can only do that by learning something about JAVA script etc (scary!!!).

Anyway, thanks for all your input and knowledge.
hogie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:50 AM   #15

I'd like to learn as well, so I'm hoping somebody can help give some simple tips, using a web page editor. After all when you click on a html link, all you do is run the script and call the giffs,wavs etc needed. Same thing when saving a web page for offline viewing.

Personalised digicam pics with sound could be interesting. I'll think about it.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:57 AM   #16

Here's one solution: Presentation and animation programmes, including Powerpoint ,allow combining of pics (jpg) and sound (wav). However, the output (presentation) file is often exploded .jpg (uncompressed) with sound, and is too big to send around - and pc's need MS Office to play!

So, combining the .jpg and .wav to form an AVI is the answer, since the resulting .AVI is compressed and can be played with a default MS Media player in most pc's.

This is the first simple prog I found which works, called 'Platypus Animator':

http://www.rocketdownload.com/Details/Grap/5342.htm

There are probably others. BUT you must downsample your input .jpg files first to 640x480 or 800x600 before importing. Pics and sound start immediately in the Media Player window when you click on the AVI file.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:29 PM   #17

Downloaded Platypus program and it works! E-mailed the resulting .AVI to myself (at alternate e-mail address) and the file opened and played the audio simultaneously. Too Cool!!!!!!

A problem though- the 350 KB .JPG and the 150 KB .WAV ended up being a 2.2 MB .AVI. (I didn't "downsample" the .JPG as you mentioned as I thought it was a small enough file size.) That hardly seems to result in a compressed .AVI as you suggested. Or does the "stuff" that turns the 2 files into one .AVI file account for that many KB's?

Thanks alot vox-you've made my day!

hogie46
hogie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:33 AM   #18

Just a thought , It's not the file size that's important, its how big it becomes when de-compressed! So that's why I downsampled to reduce the resolution!, I also selected 1 frame per second (instead of default 10).

I just made up a 6 image sequence lasting 6 seconds (images down sampled, but without sound) and the AVI file size was 800Kb.