Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:15 PM   #1

Default ???'s re Audio Memos on Images

Help-Posted this on both "Newbie" and "Fuji" forums without any responses.

Have Fuji 3800 on order and have viewed manual on PDF from Fuji website. Confused if the up to 30sec audio memo I can make actually becomes part of the image file (i.e., if I email the image to someone will they also hear the accompanying verbiage?). Or, is the memo only available as part of the playback on the camera itself?

Thanks for your assistance!
hogie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2002, 7:54 PM   #2

I haven't a clue!

But this is just to let you know we're not ignoring you purposely!
reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 8:10 PM   #3

Hey thanks---I see my post has had some looks in all three forums in which it's posted. But I guess no one has a clue!

I guess I didn't know it was such a tough question????

Thanks,

Jim
Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:03 AM   #4
Administrator

Every camera that we have used to date that offers a voice memo function stores it as a seperate file, usually in WAV format.

Our review 3800 is enroute so we'll know for sure shortly - as well as post a review of course.

-Steve-
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 9:51 AM   #5

Thanks Steve-looking forward to the review. How is the WAV file "married" to the JPEG?
(My 3800 is due to arrive tomorrow)

Thanks again-really enjoy your site!

Jim
Old Oct 9, 2002, 10:25 AM   #6

Ive got a Fuji S602z. Haven't done much with sound, as learning to handling these new cams to get pictures is a handful!

When the 30 sec sound memo is on, the Fuji will record 2 separate files. A JPEG image file, and a WAV file. Both files have the same filename (but obviously JPG and WAV extensions).

New photo editors appear to replay sound when you click on the image file. However, all they do is look to see if there is a WAV of the same name in the same directory.

So there is no 'marriage' - it's all virtual! If you send an image, all you get is an image, send both and you can get sound and pics, if the other pc opens the pic (with WAV in same directory) in a recent photo editor, you may have an illusion of a marriage!

The only embedded metadata in jpegs I know of is EXIF (camera settings). So others getting pics may know what cam and settings you used. EXIF data can be edited so I guess sending 'secret messages' is all possible! Older photo editing software usually destroys camera EXIF data on the first lossy save.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 8:13 PM   #7

Thanks-great info!

hogie46
Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:03 AM   #8

The Nikon 4500's twenty second audio is handled the same way, as a Wav file with the same file number as the pic it is recorded with.
Kent Nickell's site has a photo I took with the Wav file:

http://www.greenbackedheron.com/id.cfm?setid+549

P.S. One of these should work, btw, the water color is by Pedro Rodriguez, Domican Republic. Click on "Northern Mockingbird".
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 6:48 AM   #9

Thanks everybody-I think I get the idea now. My camera is due to arrive today so I'll find out first hand how it works.

Beautiful work, Wilson!

Jim (hogie46)
Old Oct 12, 2002, 1:36 PM   #10

Voxmagna,

Got my camera on Thursday, recorded memo with image and I see the corresponding WAV file - but I'll be darned if I can hear the WAV when opening the JPEG in Photoshop 5, Photodeluxe Business Edition or MS Photo Editor. What "new" or "recent" photo editors are you referring to as being capable of playing the WAV when they open the JPEG?

Thanks!

Jim (hogie46)