Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2002, 4:36 PM   #1

Default the right camera

this is my first post, so please help
i am buying a digital camera for my wife so I will be using it mostly. I don't want to spend much more than $500 if i can get away with it. i like the idea of a compact camera vs theultra compact dimage x or sony dsc p7. i have read reviews of sonydsc71, 51, s75, canon g2, s330 elph, olympus 550, nikon 2500. right now i am more confused than i was at the start. and how are the online outfits like buydig, us1camera, or page to buy from? point and shoot is ok but manual flexibility is also needed. at work we have a canon d60 that i use, very nice. i can't afford a camera like that.

thanks
tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2002, 5:12 PM   #2

Default Which camera

Read Steve's review on the Olympus C4000. It will provide you with the point and shoot as well as the manual mode. It is a 4 megapixel camera with alot of features. You can buy it on the web for under $500. Go to www.dealtime.com for pricing and vendor evaluations.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2002, 10:48 AM   #3

Tantrum,
Digcam uses a lot of battery! So, budget one extra set of rechargeable battery. Digcams typically comes with 8 to 16MB of Flash memory -- Not enough. So, budget for more memory (larger memory for larger resolution digcams.). Now, what's left is for your target camera. Or, buy the most camera now and get those other items for Xmas. If your budget won't allow the purchase of additional items for a long time (a year or two), then I'd go with my first suggestion of adding memory and battery now and buy cheaper camera. Otherwise you might miss great shots while recharging your battery or downloading your photos to your computer.
...frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2002, 11:01 AM   #4

Tantrum,

One other thing... I usually go to the camera store and try them out. See how they feel and how I'm going to use them. That usually narrows down the list quickly for me, without even going to the technical details yet. Then, review the technical details and see what's left from the original list. I use Canon S30 and am very happy with the results. My 3 year old daughter loves using it -- and takes decent portrait shots -- she learned how to use the zoom lever. Personally, I like the S330. Canon digcams I think are pretty, in general, although pricey. The Nikon 2500 is more for teenager in my opinion (ummm, I meant the younger crowd.) Not interested in Sony, so...

Good luck.
...frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote