Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2004, 4:24 AM   #1

Well, it is Sunday morning and after playing with my one year old Son I am feeling all paternal, and just want to preach to the young and enthusiastic. I have read this forum for a while now, and there are some great personalities and talented people here especially you Vito. You are 15 right? You have an obvious talent and bags of enthusiasm and judging by your various avatars over time, have a talent for design and imaging too. My advice to you is to keep at it. I got into photography when I was 14 and was obsessed. Had the darkroom, cheap SLR etc., and spent many weekends wandering around streets and fields photographing anything. Unfortunately, I didnt have the luxury of PC´s, photoshop and digital. I did an apprenticeship at 16 for a year and all sorts. Then moved to London and got what I thought was a "Proper" job....what a load of rubbish. I had a break from photography during my 20´s as I was having too much fun living with friends in the "Smoke". Got back into it for 3 years when I started it as a business doing weddings and such, and then stopped again when I moved to Spain. It was only through reading this forum that it sparked my love for the "hobby" again, only this time much more so than ever!!! I think that if you really REALLY love photography, it never leaves you, and if you have the energy and enthusiasm, you can easily earn a good living from it, and there is nothing better than doing a job that you love, believe me. When someone hands you, even just €25, for a job you have done for them, and they are over the moon, it feels good, and there aren´t that many jobs like this that are accessible to the majority of us. What I am saying is that I expect to see work from the infamous VITO in mags and galleries in the future, even if you just keep it as a serious hobby rather than a profession.

Preaching over, I am off to play golf........
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:53 PM   #2

I agree. Vito does post some great pictures and I enjoy my conversations with him. Especially since we are both using "pro-sumer" camera's instead of DSLR's.

I am 26 and just started to get really interested in photography about 8 months ago. I really enjoy it when people see my pictures, whether it be family, friends, or strangers, and comment on how nice they look and question if I would give/sell them a copy. They tell me I should look at getting some of my pics published, but I don't have the confidence in my abilities yet to pursue that.

I enjoy my time here at Steve's and learn a lot from others. I enjoy my chats with other members and hope that I can maybe pass on a little of my knowledge onto others as I have l learned from the experienced pro's.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:33 PM   #3

wow...thanks freefly

i'm glad you guys like my shots

i enjoy every minute i spend here....the stuff i've learned is just amazing....the "community" of photographers is great...

but ryan....i'm sorry to tell you...i'm planning an upgrade....lol, i'm saving (lol will take a couple months) for a dSLR....my G2 isn't doing too well anymore :-\....i'll post some originals from my trip yesterday morning...and you'll see wat i mean...

well...thanks for the encouragement! i appreciate it

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:14 PM   #4

I must agree that the community here is great. I may not post a ton, but I certianly read a lot of what is posted. Everyone here is enjoyable, and I am proud to be a member. Depending on how old you are I could be considered a 'whippersnapper' too... at 22, not being the youngest, and far from the ... most expirienced... I find this site to be very informative, and I hope that I have provided some wisdom time to time as well. Keep up the great work all, and Vito... man get your new camera and spend less time here... carpultunnel isnt supposed to occur when you are 15! :-)
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:21 PM   #5

haha...very true...

you guys haven't realized this yet.

but i really don't spend TOO too much time here..lol

my internet is fast, and i'm a pretty decent typer!

i do come online for a while at night though....when shooting is impossible with my G2 (at least without a fight with lighting....)

Vito
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:55 AM   #6

I agree, it is good to see those so young taking an interest in photography. I started at 13 when my Dad got me a little Agfa point and shoot camera. My son is 16 and occasionally dabbles in using my oldest digital camera but he will never have the drive I had at that age, I guess it's either in your blood or not.

And as one of the old Farts at 45 in here, Im still learning. Digital actually put many people back to learning the art of photography in another format eg, the computer. In a wayI was lucky asI was into art at school and my husband got into computers inhis early 20s and taught me a lot about computersso I picked it up fairly quickly, where some of my friends are still struggling with photo-shop.

I still find myself learning things online from people less than half my age:-)yet that does not bother me at all:lol:

I love this community of digital Camera fanatics and continue to be amazed by the talent in here.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:19 AM   #7

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:

I still find myself learning things online from people less than half my age:-)yet that does not bother me at all:lol:

hmm...why would it bother you?

well, the fact that us younger people grew up on computers gives us a fair advantage...

in fact, i don't remember wat it's like not to have a PC....man...it would stink for me now! (haha i bought my own...don't have to worry about sharing muahaha)

Vito
Old Sep 27, 2004, 5:52 AM   #8

didn't know vito was that young....i figured for you to be a older person, but after watching your advice to others it's very encouraging to the "newbee" like myself, and the more time i spend in here the more i'm asking myself when out taking pics etc " now what did vito or frank or kal say in that forum again"or anyone else for that matter, so i'm finding i'm taking notes in here that would help in taking better pics etc

i now have bout 5 megs of lil tips and tricks..lol, i'm not completely happy with some of my pics yet untill i fully master my lil S3000, but i am enjoying the topics and such in here

Grant
picnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:22 PM   #9

Hey, I turned 53 today...I'm still a whippersnapper in some eyes! LOL
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 1:26 PM   #10

heyy! Happy Birthday Henry!

Vito