Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2004, 7:35 AM   #1

I just got my first digital camera (Minolta A1) and I cannot take enough photos. I have done many searches on this subject but I find that most of the reviews are dated. I could not find a good side by side comparison view published in the last year. I have found a lot of software and have not made a decision yet. One review I found is this one"

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/imagemanagement/tp/photocatalog.htm

This review is about a year old. I am narrowed down to:

Photo Album 2

Photodex Compupic Pro

Cerious Thumbsplus

Whatdoes everyone here think about these packages?

Thank you,

Anthony

aiannar974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2004, 8:49 AM   #2

Anthony -

I've been using Adobe Photoshop Album 2 for about 10 or 12 months and am quite satisfied with the product. One of the reasons I got itwas my wife, who is minimally computer proficient,could look atthe pictures on the computer whether she wants to see the sons, grand-daughter, or recent party. The interface is reasonably straightforward and you can sort on any number of options - date, file name, folder, category, etc. It does not however replace the need to organize your photos in a manner you're satisfied with on your computer hard drive. (I keep it simple - "YYMMDD - 'subject'", which allows me easy search and org on the folders)

It has a simple photo editor which has a nice feature with the ability to compare a before and after look at the edited image. You can also burn backup CDs based on the criteria you've entered. If you chose to let the program delete the picture once you've put it on a CD, it will save a thumbnail picture to the index and if you want to see the original, it tells you which disk to dig out.

Adobe is about to bring out Photoshop Elements 3. An upgrade to PSE 2 (duh!?!), it incorporates Album into the basic package. Might be worth considering if you don't already have an editor you're satisfied with.

The Minolta A1 is a great camera and I hope you get lots of great pictures with it.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:15 AM   #3

plg3 wrote:
Quote:

Adobe is about to bring out Photoshop Elements 3. An upgrade to PSE 2 (duh!?!), it incorporates Album into the basic package. Might be worth considering if you don't already have an editor you're satisfied with.
That sounds like a good deal, especially if Sam's Wholesale Club has it for $55, like the current Elements 2.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:51 AM   #4

Album creation is separate from viewing.
If you are using XP, there is a cheezy but effective jpg viewer built in.

You can also get the free software irfanview:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Its a decent editor and picture viewer. It can also make slideshows. I don't know about album software.

If all you want is album creation software, you should check out jalbum:
http://jalbum.net/

It does everything I want for album creation... every other free package I found lacked something (i.e. as an upsell to the pay version) but this one did everything. It can make many different types of albums (and there are many created by users 'cause it can be extended), as many pictures on a page as you want with as many pages as you want.

If you want a real editor, I would also suggest PhotoShop Elements. I used Elements 2.0 for awhile and like it. I have since upgraded to the full PhotoShop CS, but that is only because it offers more not that Elements is bad.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:05 PM   #5

aiannar974 wrote:
Quote:
I just got my first digital camera (Minolta A1) and I cannot take enough photos.* I have done many searches on this subject but I find that most of the reviews are dated.* I could not find a good side by side comparison view published in the last year.
Digital cameras are like computers...they become outdated very quickly. There's no more point in writing about the A1 today just like there's no point in writing a review today about an XT. It's yesterday's news.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 5:47 PM   #6

Thank you for the replys. I have found Photoshop Elements for sale already. On the web, I have found it in the $90.

Thank you,

Anthony
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:38 PM   #7

FOund is at Amazon for $95 with $45 in rebates. Release date in October. Needs to be bought before release date