Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:30 PM   #1

I just purchased a new Kodak 7590 with the 10X zoom and EVF. All my previous experience has been with a Kodak DX-4900 with an optical viewfinder. What I noticed last night when I first tried the camera out was that with indoor flourescent lighting that everything through the viewfinder (or if you used the 2" screen as a viewfinder) had a yellowish tinge to the image. If you snap the photo, there is no such effect. Is this unique to my camera or is this common to all cameras with electronic EVF's? Thanks in advance for any input on the subject.

Bernie
Bliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:01 PM   #2

Hello Bliang;

I have a DX6490 and in low-light, the displays convert to B/W.Presumably this give a clearer view of the shot. Some people have complained about this feature, but I really have no problem with it. The shots themselves are in full colour, or whatever your colour is set to. Is this what you are referring to?

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:22 PM   #3
Administrator

Bernie:

Chances are, the camera is not adjusting the white balance for the lighting conditions until you half press the shutter button. Even then, it may not adjust the White Balance if you are in conditions that will require a flash (because the temperature of the light from the flash is very different than it is from the flourescent lighting).

Most models will have much poorer EVF performance in low light anyway. This is because most models slow down the sample rate from the CCD (otherwise, the display would be very dark), and also amplify the signal from the CCD (just like increasing ISO speed) so that it is more visible.

In low light (indoors), these two adjustments can give an EVF display a less fluid look (due to the slower frame rate), as well as make the images look "grainy" (from amplifying the CCD signal).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:04 PM   #4

Thanks Guys for the replies. The response rate definitely seems as if it's been affected as you say. I'm just surprised at how poorly it behaves. My $300 Panasonic camcorder does a better job through it's EVF. Is the technology somehow different that a camcorder wouldn't experience the same color shift and slow response?

Bernie
Bliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:26 PM   #5
Administrator

Bliang wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Guys for the replies. The response rate definitely seems as if it's been affected as you say. I'm just surprised at how poorly it behaves. My $300 Panasonic camcorder does a better job through it's EVF. Is the technology somehow different that a camcorder wouldn't experience the same color shift and slow response?
Bernie:

The CCD Sensors used in Video Cameras are designed to be sampled at a faster rate for video. On the other hand, the CCD Sensors used inDigital Still Camerasare designed specifically for still photos (so that the time it takes to "fill the pixel wells" is optimized for the shutter speeds you'd typically use).

So, if you tried to sample the CCD at 30 frames per second in low light, without boosting the ISO speed and slowing down the sample rate; you'd end up with a dark display (just as if you tried to take a photo indoors without flash at 1/30 second with the ISO speed set low).

The differences in CCD design is one reason that Video Cameras tend to take poor still photos, and still cameras tend to take poor videos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote