Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2002, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Buying a "Grey Market" Camera?????

hi, Im intersted in buying the Canon Powershot G2. Lovely Camera. Anyhow, it still retails for about 700$-799$ US. On the web I've seen it for as low as 509$. But these are grey market, and for the uninitiated, that means that they are for overseas. The cameras are physically the same but the only difference is that if you ever have to have it serviced overseas.
Now, that being the case, I found an insurance company called www.safeware.com They say that basically if you buy computer or computer related equipment and damage it or drop it, they will repair or replace it for you. And if it comes from japan or canada, but is still the same model avail in the US they can have it serviced here. So basically it seems like service can be covered by my computer insurance policy. Does anyone have any thoughts and or comments? Should I go for this grey market cam, or should I just cough up the extra dough? I am getting the Canon GL1 DV camera grey market, 1299$ instead of 1999$ in the stores. All equipment is factory selaed, and brand new.
I must also mention that a few years ago, an X girlfriend of mine bought me a camera from Japan it was an Olmypus D900Zoom, and I have never had to have it serviced ever! And it was exactly equivalent to the D460Zoom here in the us.
defiantsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2002, 2:42 PM   #2

Alot of Gray market camera have the camera menus in other than english. Be careful of companies that could be out of biz when you need them.
Gary

[Edited on 7-3-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 4:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Senkus
Alot of Grey market camera have the camera menus in other than english. Be careful of companies that could be out of biz when you need them.
Gary
Gary,
Delta International sells grey and has an excellent reputation.
I understand that Canon USA will honor warranty work on their DSLR camera's, but haven't heard if this extends to the G2 or not?
Jim C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 2:02 PM   #4

I have long bought grey market when the price difference was large, but I only buy from dealers I know, like B&H and Adorama. I do know that you have to be careful where you buy it. Don't get suckered by price alone.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 8:48 PM   #5

Default Re: buying fm abroad

..and take care on their delivery times...Nomatica (France) are terrible..can take weeks / months !!
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote