Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:48 AM   #1

Dear Friends,
I had purchased an Epson Stylus RX500 which started producing dark, heavy contrasted photos which seemed to be happening after installing the SP2 update. Epson support was fast and courteous, but didn't have any solutions beside trying other printing software since they claim that the crash only affects the photo wizard, and to keep checking their website "IF" they decide to make a patch.

Anyway, the fix for me was to uninstall SP2 through the control panel "ad or remove program" function. Now I'm back to SP1, but the printer works fine again.

I'm no computer genius, but I didn't realize any great performance improvement with SP2 and did have some clashes with Netscape 7 also. If security, virus and firewall seem to be the problem, then keeping virus programs and firewalls up to date should give much of the protection anyway. Just as a note (and most people probably already know this), Zone Alarm has a good free firewall. AVG antivirus is a good freeware program with continuous updates. Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, and Spyware Blaster are good freeware programs to filter out or remove a majority of the spyware.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dr John
brahmanamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:52 AM   #2

Its great that your fixed for now, but and this is the bit that niggles me...

Come April 2005 we are all going to be forced to download XPSP2 and use it. :?

ive just put XPSP2 on and once again I have the dark pictures through windows printing and adobe. Q image has done the trick for me. So for now im a happy chappy.

Smudger
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:26 AM   #3

I have installed SP2 on all three of my machines with no incident - lucky I guess. Each of the desktops are bristling with addons, used for photo editing. The laptop is devoted to my Powerpoint Presentations (I am a consultant and lecturer).

In every case I print using Qimage. It is bar none, the most efficient and least expensive way to produce pro quality prints.

Connected to all three I have anEpson 2200 and R200. I also use a Sony Dye Sub as well as a Samsung Laser for text. No change anywhere.

Obviously SP2 makes changes that are very detrimental to some. The changes in it, though too little, too late are needed.The reality is any time you change an OS problemswill happen. I suggest XP or any other OS should not be a "Swiss Army Knife" for everything. Properly written and designed apps, such as Qimage, will make your life much easier (and wait until you see the prints).

Jim Cummings
JimCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:27 PM   #4

? Why will we be forced to use xpsp2 ?

I have it on one machine with no problems, but I really don't want it on any of my other machines. (BTW: they run linux :G)

Smudger wrote:
Quote:
Come April 2005 we are all going to be forced to download XPSP2 and use it. :?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:02 PM   #5

Its part of their increase on security, but so many people had issues that the big vendors put a bit of pressure on MS and the out come was an option to not download it for 120 days. This has now been increased till April 2005. From my understanding you will no longer be able to block the install of XPSP2 after that date.
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 3:46 AM   #6

I'd been getting great prints for years from my old slowPC with W.98SE and a four year old Epson printer.

Just upgraded a month agoto a new high performance PC with XP. Noticed at the time the printer was the only thing that I couldn't get updated drivers for and XP seemed to run it with some sort of crude internal driver. Printed all my letters OK but lots of the printer facilities missing.

Igot the SP2CD the other day but I was wary of loading it with the comments here.

However last night did the first lot of photoprints with the new PC and old printer. Guess what...all dark and high contrast! And that's before SP2.

So that's a new printer needed I guess.

BTW Smudger how/why would SP2 be forced on us in April 2005?

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:28 AM   #7

With any computing setup you should calibrate your printer (and monitor) for best results. Removing SP2 to fix a printer that's too dark is like curing the patient by amputating a limb, especially when you'll have to download SP2 anyway.

As for the April 2005 issue this is what it is, "The company's automatic blocking tool for SP2 will only work until April 2005. After that, Microsoft will push its security update automatically to all XP customers. On Tuesday (Sept. 8th), Microsoft began notifying customers that it has established new deadlines regarding how long they will be able to block Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) from downloading automatically to their systems." Quoted from http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1643908,00.asp

To find this and more info, type the following into Google.com:

XP SERVICE PACK 2 APRIL 2005
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:09 PM   #8

:flamerat that stinks, (I'm not having any trouble with sp2, my epson-2200 prints look just fine). I just don't like the idea of being forced to load anything with no choice.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote