Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:48 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm from the UK and am visiting Florida early next year on holiday. I want to upgrade my EOS 300D (Rebel) to the 20D as it works out alot cheaper buying it in the USand Iwould realy appreciate some good advice from you guys. Firstly where is the best and cheapest place near Orange Tree Florida to buy cameras/equipment?

Secondly do these prices seem good to you:

Canon EOS 20D = $1499.99

Canon Ef 17-85 IS USM = $599.99

Lexar 1GB 80x CF card = $169.99

Canon 420EX flash = 229.95

I'm also looking for a good telephoto lens preferably Canon in the region of $1000, whats the best?

I got them from www.ritzcamera.com

Thirdly do people in the stores do money off/deals if you buy more?

Any information or guidance would be a great help, thankyou very much.
Samcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:47 PM   #2
Administrator

Samcam wrote:
Quote:
I'm from the UK and am visiting Florida early next year on holiday. I want to upgrade my EOS 300D (Rebel) to the 20D as it works out alot cheaper buying it in the USand Iwould realy appreciate some good advice from you guys.
I would strongly advise that you look into Canon's warranty policy for products purchased in the U.S. for use in the U.K.

Sometimes, a manufacturer will refuse to service products under warranty if the product was purchased in another country. This is done to discourage the practice of gray market imports (where consumers bypass the distribution network in their own country, buying a product intended for sale in another country).

I have seen mixed reports from users on how Canon handles this in North America. Some users indicate that they only have international warranties on some 35mm products and not DSLR products. But, I don't know for certain what their policies are (and it may vary from country to country)

I'd suggest you contact Canon in the U.K. and ask specific questions about their policies. There is a "Contact Us" menu choice at the top of this page:

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/warra...ions/index.asp

Quote:
Firstly where is the best and cheapest place near Orange Tree Florida to buy cameras/equipment?
I am not familiar with that area. Perhaps some other users will respond.

Quote:
Secondly do these prices seem good to you:

Canon EOS 20D = $1499.99

Canon Ef 17-85 IS USM = $599.99

Lexar 1GB 80x CF card = $169.99

Canon 420EX flash = 229.95

[snip]

I got them from http://www.ritzcamera.com
You will find that Ritz Camera usually charges full price for the products they sell.Of course, their overhead is also higher, too (since they have "brick and mortar" store locations). So, an online discounter will typically have better prices. But, you must make sure you are buying from a reputable dealer either way.

Now, the Canon EOS-20D is a new product. So, you probably will not see it discounted by anyone yet.Prices may change between now and the first of next year.

Quote:
Thirdly do people in the stores do money off/deals if you buy more?
As far as getting discounts for more products purchased, it would depend on the dealer. You'd have a better chance of that at a small retailer, versus a large chain.

Quote:
I'm also looking for a good telephoto lens preferably Canon in the region of $1000, whats the best?
I'd ask this question in the Canon Lenses Forum. You'll want to give some more information on what your purpose for the lens is, focal length desired, etc. If you're not aware of it already,the EOS-20D has a "crop factor" (a.k.a., focal length multiplier). Because it's sensor is smaller than 35mm film, you must multiply the actual focal length of the lens by 1.6 to get the 35mm equivalent focal length when used on the EOS-20D. For example, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USMlens would have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 112-320mm when used on the EOS-20D.

You'll see the Canon Lenses forum if you scroll down in the forums list. Here is the link to it:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=65
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:24 PM   #3

Firstly, I am glad you are going on holiday next year and not this because the Canon 20D is only just being launched, and it is quite likely that there will be some software or even perhaps hardware glitches with the first batches. The Nikon D70 is already on a software update for example. That will give time for the problems to be resolved and give a more stable platform.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I expect you understand the words "grey imports"? That is goods sold at a cheaper price normally but not originally supplied in the country of sale. (See Ritz Camera ratings in this context too)Personally that does not faze me but do remember that when you return to England the USA warranty will not apply, and you will have to send your camera back to America for repairs under warranty if need be. After the 12 months of course you are on your own no matter where you are, even on the moon. I would add that I have bought Nikon lenses through Ebay direct from Hong Kong much much cheaper and have never had a problem, and I guess you might consider doing the same if it doesn't worry you too much, but then prices in the USA are about the cheapest going bearing currentlyin mind the $/£ state. That though might change too by the time you leave on holiday.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Prices. You are talking months away, and quite frankly prices may well have softened by then. Memory prices are tumbling, and after the New Year when all is quiet there are deals to be done. I reckon you are going to find things - especially memory - considerably cheaper by then.

Where to buy? Hmmm. I have read numerous Bizrate and other references and I personally would prefer to buy elsewhere than Ritz. I suggest you look at this reference and make up your own mind.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_g....php/retid=141

Then, when you have made up your mind (and I don't think it will take you long) I suggest you check out the following suppliers under the same pricegrabber rating system, and then pass to Bizrate to follow it up under another comparable rating system. Personally I rate 5 star ratings for supply and service rather more than 2.5 stars maximum.

http://www.17photo.com/default.asp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Steve, the man behind this site, swears by B & H I would add. Furthermore, you will easily see that if they say it is in stock it is. Ritz have a bad reputation for debiting your card and not supplying. 17th St are in my book as good as B & H however.

So it is up to you. I would advise you to research carefully the reputations of the various suppliers, because the worst that could happen is that you find yourself in the USA with no camera, having given perhaps a hotel address for delivery, and then leaving for home leaving the hotel to forward the goods and substantial duty payable in the UK when it - eventually - arrives. Even if the hotel forwards it and doesn't accidentally "lose" it.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:10 PM   #4

Also check with http://www.resellerratings.com to see if the dealer is reputable.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 5:07 AM   #5

We have been buying various goods (mail order and walk-through customs) from the USA for 20yrs now. You really need to keep an eye on the prices week by week and not assume that the USA goods will be cheaper.

I couldn't easily see the lens you wanted in the UK but mail order here you would pay about the same for the camera alone (£1050) as the camera , CF card and flash would be in the USA. But in my experience as the months go on the prices of newly introduced models fall faster here and they end up comparable.

For example Ritz want $399.99 for a blackSony W1....that's £221. Last week there was a UK supplier with them at £209 and free postage.

Also in May this year I bought in the UK a Sony P12 plus a slave flash for farless than the USA prices.

And all this assumes you get past customs with the gear. I assume you will hide or throw away the boxes and receipts soit doesn't look new?? If you are charged import duty and VAT it will kill the saving.

Then there is the warranty issue....only you can put a price on that but given the possible trouble of getting repairs under warranty with USA bought goods I would offer the advice I was given...

Never pay more than you would for the item *used* in the UK, then even if the warranty proves impossible to enfore you will not have lost out.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote