Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:45 PM   #1

Ive always set my printer to color mode toprint out all photos. I go through a lot of ink. Ive been told that I shout be printing out my black and white shots on greyscale and therefore I will be using only the black ink. I tried this last night and the shot looks great but Im sure it is darker than if printed out on color mode. Does anyone have an opinion on which way to go to get best results??
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:23 PM   #2

The best (serious) way to print B/W photos is to use a printer dedicated to B/W with Quad Black inks...this is where you use a normal CMYK printer and in place of the CMY colours is three shades of grey:
http://www.lyson.com/products/quadblackframe.html

If you do a LOT of photo printing and go through a lot of ink, you may want to consider a continuous flow system such as the Cobra:
http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?s...tml/cobra.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:25 PM   #3

I only have a standard printer and was just wanting to know which way is best on that kind of printer.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:43 PM   #4

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Ive always set my printer to color mode to print out all photos. I go through a lot of ink. Ive been told that I shout be printing out my black and white shots on greyscale and therefore I will be using only the black ink. I tried this last night and the shot looks great but Im sure it is darker than if printed out on color mode. Does anyone have an opinion on which way to go to get best results??
It depends on the printer & the paper you are using. Some printer brands do office printing better than photo printing (i.e. HP). If you have set up your printer correctly, you should be able to print B&W no matter what the color-scale is. I never change my color modes & get great B&W prints using my Epson 875. YMMV...
Old Sep 30, 2004, 11:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments,

I have a HP photo-smart 7660 printer that I purchased this year after my Canon died on me. I also have had epsons and lexmart printers and this HP is the best one so far. It prints beautifully.

I was just wondering about the difference with printing on color or black and white. I printed out two of the same photo this morning in the two difference modes and noticed that the one printed in color looks slightly less true black and white but pretty good.