Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2004, 4:04 AM   #1

hi! i'mfrom the philippines and i'm planning on buying a brand newsony cybershot v-1 this december... currently the price for that camera here is 40,000 philippine pesos ($700). expensive right?

well that's why i'm planning on buying it in the states. i have relatives who livein illinois and they'll be coming back to the philippines this december. the matter is i don't know which one is the better thing to do... buy it thru the net or just purchase it thru a store? i prefer buying thru a sony outlet or thru sonystyle.com.

now could anyone please tell me the differences between the two (in terms of price range, availability, packages, etc.)?

any help or comment or post to this thread would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!:-):-):-)

PS: oh and i also don't mind the warranty coverage... i really don't know if US warranties are applicable here. :G
sago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:33 PM   #2

Sago,

It's a lot cheaper buying online rather than a physical store, for one thing if your relatives buy from an out of state online vendor, they don't have to pay the sales tax; and since you're going to use your camera in the Philippines, it would make the warranty, and any after sales service moot. Comparison shop the camera you want in www.bizrate.com, check out customer feedback on the vendors on www.resellerratings.com, then decide which online buyer you want to buy it from. I bought a Canon a80 a few months back for $ 270.00 shipped, from www.buydig.com, and I am very pleased with my purchase. If I remember right, at that time it cost $ 300.00 on a Circuit City near me, and if I had to add the sales tax, it would be around $ 325.00. So I saved something like $ 50 from buying it online.
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:09 AM   #3

thanks for replying...

do you or do you not recommend buying thru a sony outlet? or thru sonystyle.com? and do you know the price difference between the two?

and if someone out there knows the price of a dsc-v1 in a sony retail outlet would you please let me know? all i know is the v1's price online ($399.00 at sonystyle.com). thanks!!!:-):-)
sago is offline   Reply With Quote