Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:53 PM   #1

Most digital cameras have jpeg formats - some offer Tiff and Raw. Is there any advantage having Tiff and even raw?
KiwiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:57 PM   #2

The difference is what's done to the image before saving the image to the card.

- RAW, just saves the raw data from the CCD without any in-camera processing.
- TIFF, processes the image depending on your camera's settings (white balance, etc.), but does no compression of the image.
- JPG, does the same in-camera processing like TIFF, but the image is saved as a JPG with light to heavy compression depending on JPG setting.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:47 AM   #3

RAW offers the opportunity to do maximum file processing outside the camera (in your computer). You can adjust factors like white balance, saturation, etc.after taking a picture. This means an extra step, but gives you maximum control of your photos before saving them as TIFFs or JPEGs. Consider RAW files as your unprocessed "negatives".
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 12:16 PM   #4

I generally agree with Mikefellh, but he isn't exactly correct. There are several compressed TIFF formats (and an uncompressed one.) There are a few cameras that actually support it (I believe that Nikon makes a few.) But the reality is that the processing power of a camera is too low for compressed TIFF to be useable. It took way to long to compress and write the picture to the CF card.

To me, there is no point in using TIFF in-camera. Either you JPG or RAW. TIFF can store more colors than JPG, and they support non-destructive compression (if implemented.) Guess what? RAW supportes more colors than JPG and has some are compressed (always non-destructively.) The only benefit that TIFF has over RAW is that with RAW you have to convert it to another format for editing. TIFF is a standard format that doesn't require "conversion" 'cause most editors support it.

Now, if you want to use TIFF to store the converted RAW file, that makes sense. But using TIFF in camera doesn't (to me.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:26 PM   #5

To be honest, that response was taken from another reply on a specific camera, which doesn't do compressed TIFF.

The difference between the compressed TIFF and the JPG, is JPG is a lossy compression, while the TIFF compression gives you the exact image back when uncompressed as it was before it was compressed.

I will add that many cameras don't have a RAW mode but do offer a TIFF mode, and although most consumer cameras don't make it worth it quality-wise, there is the option to shoot in TIFF (which I occassionally do with mine if it's a shot for competition).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote