Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:39 PM   #1

Help please:?

Can I copy photo's to CD via CDROM so I can watch them on my TV using a DVD player? I only have a recordable CD not DVD. I'm using Windows XP and have Photoshop 7.

Many thanks

Steve:|

StevePn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2004, 8:31 PM   #2

i THINK that it depends on what kind of dvd player you have, i might be wrong, id let someone else say wether or not im right, but i THINK....
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:14 PM   #3

I have done this a bunch of times, so you should be able to.

What you will need to do is burn a VCD. A VCDis avideo CD. Most CD authoringpackages (Easy CD Creator, Nero) allow you to burn a VCD. Andmost DVD players made withing the last three years or so have the ability to play VCD's.

Hope this helps.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:59 AM   #4

i've tried this but the photos do come out blurry. I've been using Nero and 3.2mp photos.

Is there any 'sure fire' method to sharpen up these images or is this just the limit of the resolution of a tv?
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:36 AM   #5

As I said in the other message on this topic:

VCD photo discs...it's low resolution, but it should be compatible with most players (not all DVD players are VCD, SVCD, DVD-R, DVD-RW compatible).

You have to remember TV resolution is nowhere near the resolution of your camera...you may want to lower the resolution of your images in advance to VCD resolution, and then apply a little sharpening.

I've never used Nero, I prefer to use dedicated photo to CD/DVD products where you can put a proper show together with effects and music.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:05 PM   #6

I bought a cheap DVD player for my bedroom. (£49. Made in China I think).

That will display jpg images that are written on a disk. CD or DVD it doesn't care. It will also play AVI files from CD ot DVD.

You can get even cheaper players now. Tesco do one and I know they THAY can display jpgs from CD.
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:00 AM   #7

Since I'm researching DVD players right now, I can say with firm confidence that you can play pictures on a DVD player. There are several ways, but my suggestion would be to use jpgs. Many (but certainly not all, and maybe not older models) DVD players can display JPGs.

If you haven't purchased a DVD drive yet, you might want to check out consumer reports, as they tested the players they reviewed for their ability to play jpgs and with both CD-R and CD-RW disks.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:22 AM   #8

eric s wrote:
Quote:
There are several ways, but my suggestion would be to use jpgs. Many (but certainly not all, and maybe not older models) DVD players can display JPGs.
It's certainly easier to create a JPG disc, but this feature is non-existant on all but the newest DVD players. There was the Kodak PictureCD format on older players, but that was worse.

Beyond ease of putting together a disc (that might not play on someone elses DVD player), you're not gaining anything, and that includes resolution as you are watching it on a low resolution device (unless you have the greatest HDTV attached to your player).

Personally I like the slideshow format available with VCD with music and some effects.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:28 AM   #9
jq

I am having the same problem. I took 1200 pictures in Alaska and 600 in Mexico and would like to put them into a medium where I can show them to my family or friends. I have them on photo cd in jpeg. They will play on my newest dvd player, but each photo loads slowly, and will not play right on my son's 60" Sony wega hd system. Am I better off putting them in a slide show program via PS Albums, or Roxio? Does this make them playable on dvd's?
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:15 PM   #10

The problem is you probably have the pictures full size...the delay is not only loading the larger jpg but then converting it to TV resolution so it can be displayed. This can be speeded up by using one of the above video standards, especially one that's a video stream which will play smoothly (but will take longer to create the disc).