Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:58 AM   #1

Hi,

I am not really a video buff, so am wondering how good is 320 x 240 at 30 frames per second? How well will it play on a computer and on a TV?

Am trying to decide between :

1) Panasonic DMC-FZ10 which has a movie mode of 320 x 240 @ 30 fps, and

2) Konica Minolta - Dimage Z2 Digital Camera which has 640 x 480 @ 30fps and the world's first 15 fps SVGA (800 x 600) movie option.

Since I want my camera to also act as a reasonable camcoder if the need arises, I wanted to know if 320 x 240 @ 30 fps will suffice or not?

Thanks in advance,

Nihit
nihit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:32 AM   #2
kex

my canon a60 can make videos at 320x240. it's good for the web, but not good enough for PC fullscreen or even TV.

Afaik a tv got about 800x600 px and 24 fps (?).

So I'd take the minolta instead of the panasonic.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:29 AM   #3

Regarding TV video, it depends on what part of the world you're from (which TV standard you use):

NTSC - 648x486 30 frames a second
PAL - 720x486 25 frames a second

If you need TV quality movies, buy "last year's" camcorder...even though it is cheaper, it will do a much better job.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:40 PM   #4

I also wanted a small digital camera with a video mode, here's the one I decided on:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

The 15 reviews at Amazon average to 5 stars (out of 5).

Its a Nikon Coolpix 2200, $150 at Amazon, 2 MP with a 640x480 video mode at 15 frames per second. The video fills a TV screen (NTSC) and is adequate IMHO at 15 fps, especially using a tripod and good lighting - handheld is predictably iffy.

For about 50% more $ there is the 3200 model which jumps to 3.2 MP and adds sound recording. So look out, Tarantino ...

:ak47:
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 2:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am leaning towards the Minolta but the only problem is that it doesn't have an image stabilizer and from what I have read, that is very important at high zooms.

Anybody have any insight into which is more important => Image Stabilizer or high quality video?
nihit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:14 PM   #6

You want to know what is more important, IS or high quality video.

First, if you want high quality video, get a digital video camera. The videos that digital cameras take are extremely poor quality, with very few changes in exposure. Normally, when you start recording the video, the exposure, focus and zoom are locked and you have to stop recording to change them. Also, you can only take small clips at a time and on a memory card you can only fit a few minutes of video compared to the hour or so you can get with miniDV.

IMO, digicams are meant for stills and the video mode is a marketing gimmick, nothing more.

-rob
strainphoto.com
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:09 AM   #7
blr

Sony digicams are known for their top notch video performance, in comparison to other digital still cameras that is. Surely a camcorder will beat a digicam when it comes to movies but the clips produced by my Sony W1 look very good on my TV screen. I am not a video buff either and for me the quality is more than sufficient, but there is a problem with the storage space. High quality movies take about 1.3 MB/sec. At this rate your memory card gets filled pretty fast. My 256 MB memory stick pro holds just over 3 min of video at 640x480 @ 30 fps. A 1 gigabite stick woud hold about 12 minutes! Unless the prices of these cards go down considerably, I don't see how I'll be using the W1 for anything longer than 20-30 sec party clips
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:16 PM   #8

rob_strain wrote:
Quote:
You want to know what is more important, IS or high quality video.

First, if you want high quality video, get a digital video camera. The videos that digital cameras take are extremely poor quality, with very few changes in exposure. Normally, when you start recording the video, the exposure, focus and zoom are locked and you have to stop recording to change them. Also, you can only take small clips at a time and on a memory card you can only fit a few minutes of video compared to the hour or so you can get with miniDV.

IMO, digicams are meant for stills and the video mode is a marketing gimmick, nothing more.

-rob
strainphoto.com
IM(Humble)O ...

You overstate the difference - "extremely poor", "marketing gimmick" ...

Yes, digital video cameras are much better than the video mode of still digicams. But some of us simply want a reasonable video clip to use for various purposes, including "fun". I recently did a 3 minute video using my little digicam's 640x480, 15 fps video mode, plus a tripod and good lights. A 30 member audience at a club meeting got a good laugh (not AT it, but WITH it), and even the video guys admitted it looked pretty good at full screen size (PC overhead projector).

Regarding the "limit" of memory cards, I simply transfer the clip (about 3 minutes in my case) to my laptop using the USB connector, then shoot the next scene. Even shooting at a convention, it works fine.

Bicycle or Hummer? Horses for courses. IMHO.

- Steve K.

Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:43 PM   #9

Of course you can always transfer the clip over to a laptop, but if dont have one, or dont have the time it takes to transfer it. Say you're recording something that is 5 min long, are you going to ask them to stop while you free up your memory card?
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:33 PM   #10

My 128 MB SD memory card is not the largest available, and it does 3 minutes. 5 minutes would not be a problem.

But come on, how many scenes last more than a minute? I shot an hour or so at a model train convention, I never asked anybody to wait while I downloaded to my laptop. They all loved the shots, sent by email that evening. Posted on their Websites the next day.

Lighten up. These tools all have their place. And if you don't have a laptop, get one. You'll like it.