Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:25 PM   #11

What about picking up one of the 10D's as they are being discounted?
Jon_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:39 PM   #12

That might be an idea, but i'm trying to get a 1D. I decided to go that route. It's time for me to upgrade. If the pro's use those camera's then i can to! Just have to save, where they can just up and buy now.:|
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:03 PM   #13

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I'd also like to correct bradg - the sensor in the DRebel is not in any of the EOS 1-series cameras. Maybe he meant the 10D (which does have the same sensor) but the 10D is not a EOS 1-series camera.

eric, thanks

i assumed(you know what you do when you assume) that since it started with a 1, that it was a eos 1 sreies, i guess its like the d100 isnt part of the d1 series....

thanks again,

brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:45 PM   #14

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Ithinkthe 1Dsmk2 and the 1Dmk2 are both current generationbodies aimed at different segments of the professional market. I suspect the new 1ds hitting the shelves won't budge the price of the 1d.

No picking on anyone, just used peterp's words here. This is true,we have to remember that the 1Ds Mark 2 and 1D Mark two are totally different cameras. The 1DS Mark two is an upgraded 1Ds which features a Full-frame sensor (35mm.) Other than Kodak, Canon is the only one to offer such a camera (at least to my knowledge.)

The 1D Mark 2 is an upgraded version of the 1D, which was a 4-megapixel high frame rate camera (what I call sports cam.)

Just wanted to clarify this, you all probably already know this, but alot of ppl (including myself) sometimes get confused with these two (or four if you count the predecessors) models.

As for macatack71's question, I would put the rebel (body and kit lens) on ebay and take those funds and get either the 20D, a used 1D (if you don't plain on printing larger than say letter size)or the 1D mark 2. [/quote]

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:56 PM   #15

Billy Wrote:As for macatack71's question, I would put the rebel (body and kit lens) on ebay and take those funds and get either the 20D, a used 1D (if you don't plain on printing larger than say letter size)or the 1D mark 2.

I could consider the ebay idea, But i would rather give back to my community and donate my digital rebel to my local high school for their new Photography class. The "Pay It Forward" idea. And for the printing part, i know a few people that have printed 11x14 and 13x19 prints with the digital rebel and they turned out great. The started with a RAW file then do the post work in PS saved it as a Tiff file. More info the better for a larger print. The Digital Rebel is a great camera, really nothing wrong with it, just if thee are other things like sports or low lighting then the Rebel has a hard time. :|
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:57 PM   #16

I think digital cameras are great and at any given time I have 4 or 5 that I sell to offset the exspense of buying new. For film I had a Leica Minnilux and now have a Yashica FX-3 with a Carl Zeiss Planar lens. I like the quality that can be obtained from these non=zoom film cameras. I am looking at the new Minnilux CM as I like to carry a film camera along with a digital and the Yashica is a little heavy for this.

If I put all my dollars into one of the high end digitals I would have to start collecting lenses?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:53 AM   #17

If you don't own any Canon EOS lenses and you bought a 1Ds or similar body then yes, you'd have to start collecting EOS (EF mount?) lenses.

They are the same as a non digital SLR in that respect. You get the camera body and then buy the lenses to put on it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote