Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2004, 5:15 PM   #1

Question for all. If you can't afford a high dollar EOS-1 Series for Canon camera's, but your digital rebel just doesn't cut it would going back to film be something you would do?? Meaning film still offers a better all around picture besides the turn around that digital offers!
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:49 PM   #2

the digital rebal uses the same sensor as some of thecameras in theeos1 d series

what part about it is not cutting it? about the only part different is speed, and better build quality
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:17 PM   #3

The speed part has something to do with it. 2.5fps is to slow:-) My elan 7e is 4fps. I'm not complaining, just feel i've out grown it. I guess i should've bought the 10D instead. No worries though. Not sure on what or where i'm heading next in cameras. I enjoy my digital alot, i must for having 4,000 pics taken so far:-) I think my next investments will be new glass and maybe a lighting kit. I enjoy sports, wildlife and scenics more then taking people's portraits. I've had people ask me if i would do weddings, and my reply was, it's not me, too much pressure on a perfect day for a couple worrying about their partner then a guy taking pictures:-) I'm the type of guy that floats his own boat, then follow the rest down the river:-):|
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:31 PM   #4

What do you consider "high $$"? The camera bodies often talked about here are peanuts compared to true high-end digital backs (often running 17-60 thousand $$'s).

The price of newer, better, faster DSLR's is dropping 2-5 times each year. The new Canon 20D is faster, cheaper, lighter & with better image quality than the 10D was when it came out. The last time I used film was for a group model shoot (4yrs ago) that cost me more in film processing than the cost of a new Minolta G400!

Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:41 PM   #5

I understand price drops happen. I hope maybe in the next couple years the Canon Mark 2 will be in price range! That's where i feel my learning curve is headed. I do enjoy my Digital Rebel. I had thought about the 10D before i bought the rebel, but didn't buy it. Now the 20D is out, i still feel like it's not enough. Yea it has 8megs and the fps is more buffer rate is more. It's just not vibing with me. I don't have deadlines to meet or worry about what i took(even though i do look later after i did shoot my pics) but it's not a big issue. I think that digital has made the art of photography a bit lazy to a point. Not having faith in your learning skills to get it right the first time. Digital makes it either delete it, or i'll fix it in PS. I'm not dissing Digital now, I do what i just said too. And i'm not a hypocrete either:-) Digital photography has made things easier to understand. It's just sometimes i feel most people get more involved about the tech of cameras then what they can really use it for. There have been great photographers that have used less and created great works. It's not the camera it's the person vision!
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:32 PM   #6

macatack71 wrote:
Quote:
I hope maybe in the next couple years the Canon Mark 2 will be in price range!

with the new eos 1ds mark II coming out, the 1d mark II should drop its price a little, but i dont think it will be in the $1500 range any time soon
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:52 PM   #7

The initial price is high, but the ongoing film and processing costs are more annoying. I much prefer the freedom of being to shoot without worrying about ongoing costs.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:58 PM   #8

Ithinkthe 1Dsmk2 and the 1Dmk2 are both current generationbodies aimed at different segments of the professional market. I suspect the new 1ds hitting the shelves won't budge the price of the 1d.

bradg wrote:
Quote:
with the new eos 1ds mark II coming out, the 1d mark II should drop its price a little, but i dont think it will be in the $1500 range any time soon

I have a feeling that by the time a couple of years pass the MK2's will belowly obsolete relics nobody will want. Just another facet of hi-tech wonder toys.:?

macatack71 wrote:
Quote:
I understand price drops happen. I hope maybe in the next couple years the Canon Mark 2 will be in price range!
[/quote]

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:10 AM   #9

bradg wrote:
Quote:
macatack71 wrote:
Quote:
I hope maybe in the next couple years the Canon Mark 2 will be in price range!

I was never thinking that the Canon Mark 2 would get in the 1,500 range. Maybe like around 2,500 to 3,000 maybe. A friend of mine bought 2 1D for 2 grand a piece. I've thought about getting one too. Just do alil ebaying:-) I'm all done with this subject. Thanks for all your comments(they've been well taken).. All in good fun..:|
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:34 AM   #10

I agree with PeterP. The 1Ds MkII will not effect the price of the 1D Mk 2.

I would be shocked if the price of the 1D MkII every droped to $3,000 or below. Maybe used, but not new. And maybe when its replacement came out.... maybe. But that is only because they want to get rid of them and it costs more told them then to sell them at below cost.

I'd also like to correct bradg - the sensor in the DRebel is not in any of the EOS 1-series cameras. Maybe he meant the 10D (which does have the same sensor) but the 10D is not a EOS 1-series camera.

If the DRebel is costing you shots, then it might be worth the money to go back to film (Assuming you have the body already.) If you are just unhappy with it, then its a harder choice because it will be more expensive if you go back to film. You might consider selling the DRebel used, and buying a used 10D. Its more full-featured modes and more control over things like ISO along with its 3fps & larger buffer might suite you better.

I'd love a 1D MkII also.... but I went for good glass instead. Its an investment that will last a life time (many lens bodies) and that is a good thing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote