Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:37 AM   #1

I have been told their is a digital camera out there that has built in red eye removal I would guess similar to what professional studios use so their subjects never need red eyes fixed?? Has anyone heard of this and if so who makes the camera ??

TIA
philamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:19 PM   #2

You've been told wrong. Yes most digicams have a red-eye mode which flashes multiple times but that's to get your subject to (subconciously) close down their retinas so that less light enters the eye and bounces back out. The reality of this is the subject either has their eyes closed by the time the picture is taken, or if they weren't a willing participant turn away because they didn't want their photograph taken.

How the pros do it is their flash (or strobes if in a studio) aren't close to the camera lens. Most internal flashes have the flash quite close to the lens...that's what causes the red-eye issue. Having an external flash on a hotshoe helps, but if you look at professional photograpers or newspaper reporters, they will have the flash off-camera on what's called a "bracket". Another secret (in smaller spaces) is to bounce the flash off a wall or ceiling so the light is indirect.

You mentioned a studio, they would use two or three strobes coming from different directions depending on the lighting situation they want...they would NEVER have the flash directly on the camera.

One of the top secrets of reducing red-eye, photograph your subjects when they are sober...a little alcohol (even a beer) can cause the pupils to dialate.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Administrator

philamom wrote:
Quote:
I have been told their is a digital camera out there that has built in red eye removal I would guess similar to what professional studios use so their subjects never need red eyes fixed?? Has anyone heard of this and if so who makes the camera ??

TIA

The Nikon Coolpix 4200 and 5200,HP Photosmart R707 and the new R607 have built-in red-eye removal.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...nikon4200.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...nikon5200.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/hp_r707.html

The R607 review is coming, still a couple of weeks out yet as we are working on other reviews presently.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:08 PM   #4

I just stumbled across your inquiry in April '05, but if you are still in pursuit of an answer, HP claims to have in camera red-eye removal in at least its R707 model. I offer the address of their site describing this feature: http://h30022.www3.hp.com/hpoobe/ca_...ye_removal.asp

I am using the camera; it is my first digital camera. I am exceedingly pleased, although there are some quirks of digital photography to get used to.

There is a wonderful feature for panoramas that slides the image in the LCD screen across the screen leaving a 30% overlap to assist in lining up the subsequent shots - for up to 5 exposures. Then the included HP software on your PC knits the images to gether.

At slower shutter speeds, it is a challenge to hold the camera motinless, but for 95% of my shots, I have been thrilled. I "broke it in" over two weeks traveling in Spain and had no problems whatsoever, and excellent battery life to boot.
fredrbis is offline   Reply With Quote