Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 7, 2004, 8:44 AM   #1

I am considering the new Casio z55, but it has NO VIDEO OUT !

I ned to be able to view the images on a TV screen . Any ideas as to how it can be done? I need to view the images on a PAL TV in Italy and in USA ?

PLEASE HELP!
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:31 AM   #2

I don't know the Casio range of cameras, perhaps they do one with video out ? If you can find one, maybe consider an alternative to the Z55. I don't think there is a workaround for your problem, short of uploading to computer and burning your pics to vcd for playback on a DVD player. But, i suspect you wanted to be able to by-pass that scenario. Sorry.

Good luck

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:49 AM   #3

You can get a device now that takes your memory card and will connects to the TV. Has a remote control and will do slide shows and most of the stuff the camera will.

Not nearly as handy as the camera itself doing it.

I've said it before here (and met with some flak :-)) that a TV-out socketis essential to me, I wouldn't buy the best camera in the world if it was without this facility.

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:14 AM   #4
Administrator

See the press release for Sandisk Photo Album:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/sa...04_spa_pr.html

None of the Casio Exilim cameras have video out except the Pro600/700
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:16 PM   #5

SalBolzano wrote:
Quote:
I am considering the new Casio z55, but it has NO VIDEO OUT !
I had this requirement too, for inflicting my holiday snaps on any unsuspecting person witha TV i.e., almost everybody.

First, you need to find a different model that does have a video out. When you've done that I recommend that you purchase the 20 UKpound shareware "TVwriter" from www.satsignal.net, which will allow you to put edited, cropped and rotated images back on to your digicam card. If you don't, you're stuck with the original digicam file, and only those cameras with an attitude sensor turn portrait format images the right way up, so your viewers don't have to lie sideways on the floor.

TVWriter also, incidentally, allows you turn any jpeg you can produce into a TV image, so it's a poor man's Powerpoint/Video projector. You can pretend to be George Bush, Tony Blair, Michael Moore, or any other double-glazing salesman if you wish.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:00 PM   #6

Thank you all for your help! Alan T ! In order to use the tvwriter i need a PC - i will be on vacation and need to be able to view images on a TV pre-computer !
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:29 PM   #7

SalBolzano wrote:
Quote:
I ned to be able to view the images on a TV screen . Any ideas as to how it can be done? I need to view the images on a PAL TV in Italy and inĀ* USA ?
A correction here, the USA DOESN'T USE PAL!!! There's a different TV standard there called NTSC, so whatever you get has to be PAL/NTSC switchable.

And of course, you also have to have multi-voltage devices too...while in Italy you are using 240volt/50Hz, in the States they use 120volt/60Hz. Make sure the camera you get has a charger that can be used all over the world (it will say 120/240 on the rating plate of the plug that goes into the wall).

Lastly, don't wait until the last second before buying your camera, give yourself a month or two to get used to the camera and practice with it in the same type of shooting situations, so you can get used to it and learn its limitations (i.e. flash is only good for 3m and you are trying to light up something 20m away). Also this will give you time to find out if the camera has a problem and get it exchanged.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:27 PM   #8

Mikefellh ! If you see in my original topic question, I do understand the PAL and NTCS and do know about the different voltages. I greatly appreciate your help and you obviously have a wealth of knowledge and are always extremely helpful!

I do have a few different cameras and 35 mm and digital but they are all big and now I am on a Italo-French vacation for a month and considering the Casio z55 since Steve has it rated very highly @ My issue is that the laptop I dont want to carry with me and some of my older relatives dont have a PC and I widsh to share with them some images and need to be able to hook up to a TV. I live in ITaly and in USA and Travel greatly for work in Europe and USA so I need a device to view the images. A small but capable digicam is irreplecable on vacation !! I still have aches from carrying my huge NikonF5 with a 500 mm lens and other Hasselblat and Mamiya cameras but now decided to settle wit ha point and shoot wit hsome manual control, of course !

So, the Video Out from acamera is not that important IF THERE IS A WAY to view on TV the images. If NOT, then IT IS IMPORTANT and can be a deterrent for me.

I think it does not cost much to have a video out connection, so why WHY Casio does not include it beats me ! Other than that they a re not a bad camera at all ! And the Casio card S100 is just a cutie wit hgreat images !!!!!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 5:55 PM   #9

SalBolzano wrote:
Quote:
WHY Casio does not include it beats me !
As I should have said in my earlier post, I have a Casio QV-5700 with Video Out, but it's not a very good output. The TV image is oversaturated and unsharp. However, it adequately does the job for which it was intended, showing my 88-yr-old father my family holiday pictures. His eyesight is pretty poor, you see. Otherwise it's an excellent & fully-featured camera.

Ialso have a ludicrously cheap Jenoptik 3.1z3 point & shoot digicam, and that has a superb video output that looks wonderful on my Dad's TV.

So don't buy a video-out digicam without trying it out first on a TV.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:47 PM   #10

After enjoying the TV out feature on my last Nikon camera, the fact that the Casio compacts dont include one also put me off buying one. I loved the Casio Z4, but no TV out put me off. Then the Casio Z40 came out but again no TV out. And now the Casio Z55 is here. I decided to finally give in to temptation and buy myself a Casio EX-Z55. I've been using it for a few days and really like it. The only negative was that I found the LCD was a little snowy when using as a viewfinder while taking snaps but I soon got used to it. Anyway, I've got used to the lack of TV out now, but that's mainly because i now view the images on my laptop screen (a Sony with an X-black 17 inch screen). Had it not been for the laptop I'd probably still be holding off buying a Casio compact. I know this isn't an answer to your question but I identified with your frustration of lack of TV out so thought I'd share my experience. I also noticed that there is a Sandisk photo viewer for the TV, so this looks like a good solution in general - there's one or two on ebay for sale.
GreenAlien is offline   Reply With Quote