Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:50 PM   #1

Both my new Minolta Z2 and my old Coolpix 2100 switch off their display when charging the flash if they think the batteries are low.
The problem is both cameras (but the Minolta does it more) think the batteries are low when they really aren't (different battery brands do make a difference, but not a significant one), and as a result spend as much time in low-battery mode than in normal mode, if not more.
The switching off of the display is extremely annoying to me, as it increases greatly the time needed between shots.
Is there any way to remove this "feature"? I'm totally prepared to deal with a shorter battery life and sudden power loss if this is what it takes to have a fully functional display all the time.
Why don't they make it a selectable option in the setup screen, anyway?

Thanks in advance...
Violet sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:53 PM   #2

I don't know about the minolta, but you're probably out of luck on the Nikon. I used to have a 4300 and that was one of the things that drove me crazy about it. I never could find a way to over come it.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 12:44 AM   #3

Unfortunately one of the Minolta's "features" is in this case the problem, the fact it uses the same large, high power consumption monitor for both the monitor and EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) functions...you're stuck with it. Other digitals with EVFs use a smaller LCD for the EVF which uses less power.

At least the Minolta tries to compensate by reducing power so you can at least keep shooting flash (unlike other camers which just shut down).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 4:17 PM   #4

I couldn't care less about the viewfinder, I never use it anyway... it's the power save feature that drives me insane... I want the camera to keep the display on when charging the flash while in "low battery" mode.
Any way to do this? Firmware hacks, hidden options, debug menus, voodoo rituals, anything...
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:10 AM   #5

Nothing?