Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:33 PM   #1

What should my ISO should for indoors for pets and people?
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:14 PM   #2

What camera? How much light indoors? Black or white pets? Dark or light colored walls? Flash or no flash? Handheld or using a tripod? Shooting in auto modes or manually (& if manually, what aperture setting)? Your question is like asking "what watermelon will I like the most"?
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:16 PM   #3

It depends...

It depends on a number of factors - your camera, amount of ambient light, and flash capability. And there are probably a number of other factors.

Your camera - what camera are you using? What's the ISO range and how "noisy" are the higher ISO settings? If you're OK with a "noisier" picture (really depends on the camera),use a high ISO; this will allow you to use a faster shutter speed and / or smalleraperture setting.

Ambient light and flash capability - If you have "a lot" of ambient light, a bright environment, and a strong flash, then you can shoot with a lower ISO.

Practically speaking, I have an older Olympus C-730. I love it. I keep the ISO set at 100 for both inside and outside pictures. Inside, I use the on-board flash.

For inside people shots, I would use a low ISO setting (50, 64, 100) to reduce amount of noise in the shot. For pets, you could probably step up the ISO a tad without dramatically affecting the shot.

Hope this helps.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:21 PM   #4

Sorry, not enough info. I use a Olympus C-750 UZ. I use my built in flash and use indoor basic lights in the house. My pets are dogs and their colors are black and white. My ISO range is 50-400 on my camera. What mode should I use? No tripod.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:29 PM   #5

There aren't any real hard fast rules, but here is some things to consider. If you don't mind using flash, then iso 200 or even 100 will be fine, but you might want 200 to 400 to give your flash a little bit more range. If you don't want to use flash, then probably you'll need to consider at least iso 400 to 800, a very wide lens opening of f2.8 or higher, and a good bit of natural light from windows or bright artifical light. The downside to most consumer digital cameras though is that many camera's only offer f3 to 4 as the widest f stop. In addition, iso 200 to 400 is the highest available on many as well and if you can go that high or higher, the noise could be very unacceptable without a program such as neat to clean up the image.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:34 PM   #6

mdparker wrote:
Quote:
There aren't any real hard fast rules, but here is some things to consider. If you don't mind using flash, then iso 200 or even 100 will be fine, but you might want 200 to 400 to give your flash a little bit more range. If you don't want to use flash, then probably you'll need to consider at least iso 400 to 800, a very wide lens opening of f2.8 or higher, and a good bit of natural light from windows or bright artifical light. The downside to most consumer digital cameras though is that many camera's only offer f3 to 4 as the widest f stop. In addition, iso 200 to 400 is the highest available on many as well and if you can go that high or higher, the noise could be very unacceptable without a program such as neat to clean up the image.
I use 100 iso with flash, so what should my apature be?
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:37 PM   #7

I've been using ASM mode.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:51 PM   #8

What is ASM mode? How have your pictures been thus far? Are you satisfied with them or are they too dark?
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:57 PM   #9

It means A-Apature priority shooting, M-Manual mode, S-Shutte proority shooting. My photos are fine. I will post one here soon.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:02 PM   #10

ISO 100, tell me what is wrong. I used built in flash. Apature mode.
Attached Images