Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:21 PM   #1

:?With all the posts requarding noise, what is the bottom line requarding noise levels, if Iprinted mainly 5x7 and 8x10 pics. I'm repacing my Nikon slr with a 8mp digicam. I have rarely used 400 iso films in the past, becauseof grain, soI plan toshoot in low iso ranges. I would be interested indigital shootersexperience in this area, Thanks! :?
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:47 PM   #2

fireman wrote:
Quote:
:?With all the posts requarding noise, what is the bottom line requarding noise levels, if I printed mainly 5x7 and 8x10 pics. I'm repacing my Nikon slr with a 8mp digicam. I have rarely used 400 iso films in the past, because of grain, so I plan to shoot in low iso ranges. I would be interested in digital shooters experience in this area, Thanks! :?
Well, since you already have a Nikon SLR, I would recommend getting a Nikon DSLR (the D70 seems to be a great camera) & using your lenses. The larger size of the sensor in a DSLR will allow you to shoot at higher ISO's with much less noise than any of the current 8mp digicams.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 6:49 PM   #3

This is an image Steve usually posts for comparing imager sizers...if you look up the size of the CCD in the 8mp you're planning on getting you can compare it with dSLR sized imagers.
Attached Images

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:48 PM   #4

fireman wrote:
Quote:
:?With all the posts requarding noise, what is the bottom line requarding noise levels, if Iprinted mainly 5x7 and 8x10 pics. I'm repacing my Nikon slr with a 8mp digicam. I have rarely used 400 iso films in the past, becauseof grain, soI plan toshoot in low iso ranges. I would be interested indigital shootersexperience in this area, Thanks! :?

If you are intending to print only in 5x7 and 8x10, 8 mp would seem to be in excessof your requirements. My understanding is that the combination of small sensor size with high mp, is pretty much guaranteed to produce noise. You might be better off with fewer pixels.

I have a Canon Powershot Pro 1, - 8 mp, high-end compact. I get noticeable noise at ISO 200, and at ISO 400 it's unacceptable. Noise reduction software helps, but there's always a trade-off.

Unless you have compelling reasons for wanting a more compact camera, a DSLR might be a better choice.

muskrat sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:45 PM   #5
hbh

Here is a nice article about noise reduction software.

http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise1.htm
hbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 3:25 PM   #6

If you buy a Nikon DSLR you are going to be in noise city. They have the most noise of all DSLR's. Those with the least are the Canons and Olympics and Pentax followed by the new Minolta.
Jon_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:01 PM   #7

Jon_Doe wrote:
Quote:
If you buy a Nikon DSLR you are going to be in noise city. They have the most noise of all DSLR's. Those with the least are the Canons and Olympics and Pentax followed by the new Minolta.
"Noise city"??? Hardly. Please post some proof of this outlandish claim (& while you are at it, please tell us who makes "Olympic" cameras).
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:24 PM   #8

Thanks for all the posts, maybe a better question would be, are the 8mp digicam users happy with the 5x7 and 8x10 prints they are getting from these cameras? I'm not looking to buy a DSLR, so I'm interested in what I can expect from these didgicams. :?
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 9:40 PM   #9

fireman wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the posts, maybe a better question would be, are the 8mp digicam users happy with the 5x7 and 8x10 prints they are getting from these cameras? I'm not looking to buy a DSLR, so I'm interested in what I can expect from these didgicams. :?

I have a Canon Powershot Pro 1 and I'm extremely happy with the image quality, having acceptedand learned to deal withit's shortcomings. I'm told the Minolta Dimage A2 is marginally better. According to most reviewers, these 2 cameras are generally regarded as better than the same spec Olympus, Nikon and Sony.
muskrat sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:53 AM   #10

muskrat sam wrote:
Quote:
I'm told the Minolta Dimage A2 is marginally better.* According to most reviewers, these 2 cameras are generally regarded as better than the same spec Olympus, Nikon and Sony.*
You're kidding, right? Having played with Minolta A and Z cameras in standard room lighting situations, they are much more prone to noise than my 2 year old Olympus C-700.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote