Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2002, 4:23 PM   #1
Administrator

Default New Message Board

I imagine you have noticed that this is a different message board.

Give us a day or two to iron out all of the bugs and make the text the right colors and format and etc. It's all new to me too.

Hey, it wouldn't be any fun if everything always stayed the same now would it? Of course not. I believe we managed to import all of the old messages and forums except for those entered in the last 12 hours or so when the old forum "burped." :twisted:

We got the emoticons showing up in the editor but you may encounter a text entry box where the text you type doesn't show up unless you highlight it with your mouse - we're working on it.
It's irritating me too :roll:

Posting a Picture

To enter a picture it must be stored out on the Internet somewhere already, we do not host your images. The place where your image is hosted must allow it to be called from another domain or else your picture will not appear. Some hosting sites have blocked this ability so your pictures will only be seen if you are at their web site. Many of the "free" photo hosting sites are this way, sorry we can't do anything about it.

If you do have your photo stored on the Internet and it is available for display on other sites then you need to know the complete image URL (address to the picture itself). Most browsers allow you to right-click on an image and "copy the image location" to the clipboard. Or you can highlight the address shown in your browser's status bar - if it ends in ".jpg" - otherwise you are probably looking at the address of the web page and not the picture.

Once you have the complete URL to your picture you paste it into the message editor here. With your cursor still on the image URL click on the "Img" button above the editing box, this will add the proper open and close BBcode to the line and it should look like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.yourhost.com/yourpicture.jpg[/img]
Before you "submit" your new message use the "preview" option first, you should be able to see your picture in the message. If it isn't there then either the URL is wrong or your photo host does not allow third-party linking off of their site.

I wish it was simpler than this to display a picture but it isn't, sorry.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2002, 7:03 PM   #2
NHL

Default How about an icon for today's post?

... or do we have to go through all the indexes :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 8:42 AM   #3

Steve,

Like the new setup, but I can't find a way of getting back to good old Steve's Digicams from any of the forums. You have to hit the back button on the browser for every page you've looked at, just to get to the main page.

Dave
David Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 1:06 PM   #4

Hi Steve,

Congrats on the new software!

Just in case you missed it, it looks like the message replies counter is off... perhaps the counter info wasn't imported into the new software.

I tend to like finding messages with 0 replies, and if I can help the poster, I would do so. I've opened a few such messages today only to find a ton of existing replies.

Great board!

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 3:26 AM   #5

Default Can't get on forums from home

Steve,
When I am at home I do not seen any forums subjects, only a page with the number of members on, when I try to log in at home, I do not see what I type(like you mentioned) as a result it will not let me log in.
Here at work, I have no problem except I cannot see any forum subjects unless I log in. Does this mean only members can "read" the forum?
Bill :?:
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 9:54 AM   #6
Administrator

Default Re: Can't get on forums from home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Benson
Steve,
When I am at home I do not seen any forums subjects, only a page with the number of members on, when I try to log in at home, I do not see what I type(like you mentioned) as a result it will not let me log in.
Here at work, I have no problem except I cannot see any forum subjects unless I log in. Does this mean only members can "read" the forum?
Bill :?:

The colors and text are an ongoing problem that we hope to fix very soon. It works differently depending on the browser being used and what version it is. Old Netscape 4.7 shows the message headers as yellow background, Netscape 6.2 and IE 6.x see it as black -- it is all very confusing.

There was a major security flaw in the old board, we had no alternative but to dump it and go with this one as we could at least import the messages from the old one. Some things work, others don't. Be patient we are working on it.

-Steve
Old Oct 14, 2002, 2:46 PM   #7

Steve,
I'm on Explorer 6.0.26 Tonight I was posting but text was black on black background text box (invisible). I went into the site again and the login boxes were black on black. I deleted cookies, re-accessed and things worked.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 5:01 PM   #8

Are avatars limited to certain users?
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 5:41 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurms
Are avatars limited to certain users?
No, anybody can have one, just keep it small 80x80 pixels is prefered. If you use one that is too big you may find me deleting it because big ones screw up the page formatting.

To add an avatar you need to have it hosted somewhere on the net that allows third-party hosting. Some photo sites do not let you call your pictures from another web site although they are visible when at the photo shaing site. PBase is one of these that blocks pictures from being used elsewhere. You go into your profile here on the forum and you'll see it near the bottom of your information, where you can enter the URL for your avatar. If you properly enter this info it will display, if it doesn't then it usually means that either you have the URL wrong or your hosting site won't let it be called from another site like our forums.

-Steve
Old Oct 16, 2002, 4:08 AM   #10

Default New board, password reactivation...

I had forgotten my password, so I had a new one emailed to me. It gave an url I had to click to get it "reactivated" but the url kept giving me a "Page Not Found" error.

It took me a while but I finally realized it was sending me to the wrong site...instead of sending me to http://www.stevesforums.com/(etc) it was sending me to http://http://www.steves-digicams.com/(etc.)

Notice not only the double http:// but also "Steves-Digicams"...changing it to "Stevesforums" got it to work!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote