Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:38 AM   #1

Hi - When I try to post the smallest jpg file size on Steve's site, I get a message it's too big. Any advice? THX.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:25 AM   #2

In the case of attaching a JPG from your hard drive, the max size is 250,400 bytes (250K). For an avatar, I believe it's 10K.

For images you have to remember your audience, they don't want to look at an extra large file either in resolution (too big for monitor) or filesize (download time). Most by now would have a 1024x768 screen, but many still use 800x600, and many still use dialup.

Let's do it this way...how large a photo (both in size and filesize) were you trying to post?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:21 AM   #3

When I post in the wildlife section I usually aim for 800 pixels on the largest side (which could mean there is slight scrolling if it's a portrait layout) and I go for around 125k-200k. If I can't see the difference I use the smaller size.

I'm on a cable modem, but I know some people in the wildlife section are on a modem, so I try to be friendly to them. It's just the nice thing to do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:35 PM   #4

eric s wrote:
Quote:
800 pixels on the largest side.....go for around 125k-200k.....
some people....are on a modem, so I try to be friendly to them.
1. 800x600 compressed to 125K must be quite a severe degree of compression.

2. I notice that manypeople post at 600x450, and I find that very satisfactory, as it leaves room for limited scroll bars on an 800x600 display.

3. I'd like it if posters were to put the file size in the opening text, so that I coulddecide for myself whether I can bebothered to wait for the download. My dial-up connection never gets faster than 5 minutes per megabyte. If I looked at every imageI'd like to see in these forums, it'd be a full time job.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:15 PM   #5

Guys - great info, THX - but I guess what I am asking is what format should I create a file to post? I'm surprised that the smallest jpg file is too large. I have an apple G5 if that helps. THX.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:18 AM   #6

The format is JPG (of course).

The question is, what are YOU doing to prepar the print for upload here...things like image size, amount of compression, etc. make the differences in the image size.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 3:10 AM   #7

Mike - OK, it seemed jpg should be the format. With OS10, when I save an image into jpg from PhotoShop Elements, I'm given a choice of choosing my file size on a 0-10 scale, with 0-4 designated as "small files". Even selecting 0 or 1, it won't upload to Steve's site - says its too big. Can you recommend other steps/preparation I should make? I can also call Apple Tech support and they may be able to help - but I appreciate any help you can and the others in the post can provide. THX - john
Old Oct 16, 2004, 8:08 AM   #8
Administrator

John:

You need to resize your image, not just compress your image (which is all the software is doing when you tell it to save using a smaller file size).

You are probably compressing so much that the quality will be awful, yet still have it far too large (pixel dimensions), even when using maximum compression. I'd resize it sothat the long side is down to around 600 pixels or less to keep from "stretching" the forum posts too wide. Make sure you don't overwrite the original (use the Save As option and give it a different filename). I don't use Photoshop Elements, but here is how it works:

To resize the image select Image / Resize / Image Size. The Image Size dialog box appears. Under the heading Pixel Dimensions first make sure that Width and Height are both in pixels units by selecting it from the drop-down menu at the right. Also make sure that Constrain Proportions is selected so that a change in Width or Height will make a proportional change in the other. Now, enter a value for either Width or Height and the other should change accordingly. When you are finished, click the OK button to complete the changes.
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:13 PM   #9

Jim - DUH!! I knew it was something simple, THX for saving me from looking a total rube with the tech support people. I'll give it a try!