Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:38 PM   #1

Nikon's Coolpix 2100 instruction book says you can delete all photos on your compactflash card in one felled swoop, but I sure can't find where that command is! The dedicated "trash" button just deletes one at a time, but obviously this is a drag when you've downloaded all your shots to your computer and you're ready to dump them all from the card. Can anybody point me to the steps to get to "delete all"?

Thanks!
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:46 PM   #2

Try formatting the card. It doesn't matter what brand of camera or card you are using, the best way to delete is to format the card. If you delete individual images on the camera, you stand a chance of corrupting the card and you'll have to format it anyway.

Download all the pictures, including the ones you don't want, and delete the bad ones on the computer. In the meantime, after the download is done, format the card IN THE CAMERA. This will always be the safest way to proceed.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3

I have the Coolpix 2200 with an SD card, but maybe the answer is the same.

I first have to hit the "Play" button wich lets me see the pictures I've taken. Then when I hit the "Menu" button, I get options including "Delete" (selected images), "Delete All" (requires confirmation, i.e. ""Sure?"), etc. Without first hitting the "Play" button, I don't think I can get to the "Delete All" command.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:22 PM   #4

It is better to format the card than to delete all.
By formatting the card, you rebuild the fat table. This keeps it in good health and makes it less likely that pictures will get lost.

It also causes the fat table to get moved to a different location on the memory card, which evens the use of the flash sections.

So if you know you want to remove all the pictures, just format the card.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:13 PM   #5

Excellent. Thanks, all, for the info.
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote