Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:33 PM   #1

ok, on december 11th, i'm going to a "Vendor Fair"

something my mom is setting up...at my church.

basically, it's a bunch of people from around here that are consultants in those private sales thingies.

like...

creative memories, mary kay, stampin up, and others like that...

so, basically, i'm gonna pay for a table... and try to sell some prints...

and now for my question

how much should i sell the prints for? i'm probably gonna matte them...

would 10 dollars each be too much? that will definetely cover the costs of the mattes and the ink and paper, and give me a decent profit, but do you think any would buy them for 10?

also, i'm building (at least one) frame, which will fit a 11x14 to 8x10 matte (the picture will be 8x10, and the matte goes up to 11x14, so the frame itself will be around 16x13...a bit smaller...lol, more like 15 3/4"x12 3/4"

anyway...i'm making the frame(maybe 'frames'..lol)..

so, how much should i add for framing it? lol, the wood isn't costing me anything, but i'll have to buy the glass, and it is including some labor....(no more than an hour..)

ok...i heard somewhere to charge 12 dollars an hour for the time spent on the photo (not sure if that included the taking of it, itself, or the time spent printing,matting and framing)

okay...opinions and comments will be GREATLY appreciated, as i'm not sure how much to charge..

"professionals" charge as much as 20 bucks each for 8x10s...but they've been selling them for a while, and are well known and/or are good enough to charge that much..lol

most of you have seen some of my pictures i've posted here...so you could judge the prices on my "skills"

thanks a lot!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:56 PM   #2

If you are going to sell 8x10 matted prints, you should look at them objectively & charge how much they are worth to you. For instance, look at Bob Talbots work. As an example, here is one of his images...not mine:

On his website, he sells 8x10 prints on an 11x14 matte for $18.00. His work is unique & emotionally stirring but he doesn't price them out of reach for most folks. If you want to add frames & such, I would factor in the cost of materials & your time plus 10-15%.

This is just my opinion & worth exactly what you paid for it...
Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:11 PM   #3

haha, it's worth a lot more than i paid for it, and i thank you for your comments..

10-15%...sounds like a place to start...

thanks again!

Vito
Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:18 PM   #4

great idea vito, in about 1/2 hour or so, check your pm

how do you make your own frame?

trying to pay for the rebal?
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:35 PM   #5

thanks for the PM brad...good ideas in there

and about the frame,my dad makes countertops (cabinets...other odds and ends for kitchens, but mainly countertops) for a living, so i've grown up with woodworking..

so, today, i was working (made 20 bucks towards my camera ), and found a piece of molding...hmm..molding isn't really a good word for it...

it's a piece of wood with bevelled edges, and an overhang on the one side...

it was scrap from a job, so i thought i'd make a frame for it...

basically, i'm cutting the wood to size and having my dad miter the ends (cut at a 45º angle) so they come together in the corner, and he's gonna run it through the belt sander, to make the overhang bigger, so it holds the glass better...

i'm not really sure how i'm gonna nail the two together, but probably pinning them (nail gun...shooting "pins"...lol) together...

and then i'll get some glass cut from a local glass cutter dude and make a backing for it (probably 1/4 inch plywood) and then use these little things to hold it on (small plastic pieces to hold the glass, picture and backing in...)

thanks for your interest

if this one works out well, and isn't too hard, i'll make a couple more...

oh yeah....do you think i should offer the frame with a single picture? or allow them to pick the picture to frame? the latter sounds like it would sell better...

wat do you think?

Vito
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:59 PM   #6

your welcome

that sounds hard, i dont think id be able to make a picture frame, im not that creative

be sure to post a pic of them/it

ya, id let them pick....
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:48 PM   #7

Hey Vito -

I would listen to Kalypso. Go with what they are worth to you. Maybe take a few prints and ask 10 or so people what they would pay for the prints. For their time, offer them a free print or something. This would give you a ballpark idea as to what others think.

Good luck with the sales. Let me know how it goes.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:51 PM   #8

I've read a variety of things on this topic.
You might want to check out the book "2004 Photographer's Market."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

You'll have to check a library, of course, as it isn't worth buying it just for this.

Many of my comments were picked up on the NPN photo marketplace forum. You should go there, it's a great resource.

Oh, so many things to say. I'll say that this is how I'd do it, but I have more money to throw at this enterprise than you. But you've also good a good head on your shoulders and might be able to take my ideas and make them your own.

First off, get some big prints made up. 11x14 or even larger (those start to get expensive, though.) Hang them up and show them prominently around your table so people can see them. Easels or free standing wire partitions to hang the picture on work well. This is to attract people to come over (there is a term for it, but I don't remember what.) I know people who do this, and then hang those pictures around their house… so the money isn't wasted.

You have to decide what you want to sell. Post cards? Greeting cards (i.e. a page folded over so something can be written on the inside)? Pictures? You only list pictures, which is fine… but it will reduce your volume (but maybe not your profits, see below.) Postcards and greeting card go to a different market than pictures. I was at a fair and saw lots of kids (8 years old?) buying ziplock bags of animal postcards & greeting cards. I was surprised how many they sold. But those are a large hassle, low profit business. You need to carry around lots of them, they take up space to store and they sell cheap. But you can also have many of them on a table, and diversity is a good thing. You will often do better selling fewer prints than more postcards.

If you have different sizes of the same picture you will never sell the largest size. People will see that they can buy it cheaper and will do so. I have talked with several people who sell in fairs and everyone agrees that this is true. You can play tricks with this by enlarging your second largest picture and sell it for more.

How much to charge is a difficult question. You should definitely charge more than the cost and time to print it. Take into account the time to take the picture and editing. Matting and framing usually adds a noticeable amount of money. $10 is technically probably not enough, but if you are happy with that amount you might get more sales. (you run the risk of annoying others at the fair who you are undercutting and you also risk setting a precedent of the lower prices and it could be hard to raise them later.)

What should be the question is the quality of your work, not your name. This isn't necessarily reality, but with the right attitude and good quality work you should be able to charge a "reasonable" amount that others with similar quality can do. Yes, if you're name were Ansel Adams you could charge more… but if you took pictures as good as many other "pros" I would feel you could charge close to if not equal to their prices. You might not attract as many people (because the name draws them in) but your work should shine as much as theirs.

Again, I know you're a member of NPN, so go check out that forum… there is a lot of good stuff there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 4:01 PM   #9

Good tips Eric.

Vito - Take a look at this. It may help display your pics on your table.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...65960&rd=1

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:30 PM   #10

thanks eric and ryan

i appreciate the time you took to type that out eric

and thanks ryan for searching ebay for that i could build something (another upside to having a dad in woodworking ) like that...

btw...

i'm likely (very likely) to be the only photographer there...

then i don't have to worry about undercutting anyone

thanks again! i'll check out that forum!

Vito